Two Fermanagh men have appeared in court following the discovery of an explosive device which was described as “designed to penetrate armoured vehicles".

Emmet Maguire (43), from Station Road, and Rory Martin Logan (42), from Ross Close, both in Enniskillen, are jointly charged with preparing for acts of terrorism by travelling to Cullies Cemetery in Co. Cavan on June 8, where they allegedly collected a radio-controlled explosively formed projectile which they transported to Dromad, Co. Louth.

It is further alleged they unlawfully and maliciously had in their possession or under their control certain explosive substances, namely, a radio-controlled explosively formed projectile, with intent by means thereof to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, and had them under suspicious circumstances.

A Detective Inspector told Dungannon Magistrates Court on Friday, July 5, that all charges could be connected, which was challenged by lawyers for both accused, who did not acknowledge the court.

Logan’s solicitor enquired if there was anything other than circumstantial evidence of Logan travelling in the car.

The detective said deleted CCTV footage taken from Logan's home was recovered and showed him leave and cross a short distance to a car where Maguire was in the driver seat.

Later he was identified in the car when it stopped in a Clogher service station and police are confident the CCTV footage there shows him in the passenger seat.

In terms of Maguire, the defence enquired as to the journey, and if there was any evidence as to when the device was allegedly placed in the cemetery.

The detective said the Sat Nav from the vehicle used was seized and shows the exact journey. The data goes back to 2022 and this is the first time this journey was made when they travelled to the deposition site.

The court heard that when in that area they began to take anti-surveillance movements, driving past the cemetery four times then enter and leave several times before allegedly picking up the device.

He continued: “When recovered, the device was cleanly wrapped, indicating recent placement. It’s a 300gms high-explosive device with a copper dome and military grade. The only thing it is designed for is to penetrate armoured vehicles."

The court also heard there was communication between Maguire and Logan but both mobile phones were left switched on in Enniskillen during the journey, but never used until they returned.

He advised that while the majority of offending allegedly occurred in the Republic of Ireland, the Public Prosecution Service have confirmed it is appropriate to have the case heard in Northern Ireland.

After hearing the evidence, District Judge Peter Magill said: “I am fully satisfied these charges can be connected."

There was no application for bail in respect of either accused.

Judge Magill remanded them in custody to appear again by video-link at Enniskillen Magistrates Court on July 29.

The PSNI previously said detectives from the Terrorism Investigation Unit arrested the men following searches in conjunction with An Garda Síochána in the Enniskillen area on Wednesday, July 3.