Enniskillen Rangers 3 
NFC Kesh 1

Enniskillen Rangers returned to winning ways at the Ball Range on Saturday as they leapfrogged Kesh to go second in table behind Strathroy Harps whom they trail by a point with a game in hand. 
This was a deserved win for Rangers as they showed a greater clinical edge to their game and got the goals at key times to keep a spirited Kesh side at bay. 
Leading scorer Jay Keenan was at it again with two goals while Andy Johnston opened the scoring. Nathan Cashel had equalised before the Keenan strikes (one from the penalty spot) either side of half time which settled this encounter. 
‘Gers boss Michael Kerr had asked for a response from this side following the defeat to Tummery the previous week and he was delighted with the reaction.
“I was happy with the win and response,” he said. 
“Kesh have been going really well so we knew it wouldn’t be easy but we changed the formation and it worked well for us. I felt it was one of our better performances of the season.”
And Kerr is hoping to put another run together between now and the end of the year.I think we have four games including the Junior Cup this week between now and Christmas and we want to go on another run, that’s what I’ve told the players,” he said.
Kesh boss Nicky Noble felt that Rangers were more clinical than his side on the day but he feels that his side are making good progress having lost 5-0 to Rangers on the opening day of the season.
“There aren’t too many teams who are going to get anything off Rangers and I think they were more clinical with their chances and I also felt that they kept the ball a bit better than us. However, this is not a one year project and we are showing signs of improvement. We have shown good improvement since the first game of the season when we were well beaten by Rangers and we’ll just look to keep moving forward,” he said.
It was the home side who got off to a great start and took the lead within ten minutes. 
A lovely build up resulted in Mark Cutler crossing for Keenan and although his header was saved, Johnston was on hand to prod home from close range. 
Kesh, though, have enjoyed a great run to the top of the table and were right back in the game when Nathan Cashel equalised, the ball pulled back to Cashel on the edge of the box and he produced a good strike to level proceedings. 
Young Alex Holder enjoyed a good first half for the visitors and he almost fired them in front when he was played into the box and only an excellent save from Jerome Carleton from close range denied the teenager. 
Kesh threatened from the resulting corner but Rangers defended well and Mark Cutler, who had a fine game, broke at pace and played in Johnston who just dragged his shot from the edge of the box wide. 
Rangers were not to be denied soon after when a neat flick from Chris Currie played in Johnston who was tripped inside the box for a penalty. 
Keenan stepped up and while Kesh keeper Ross McClelland got a hand to the ball, he could not stop the shot as the ‘Gers led 2-1 after 35 minutes. 
The home side almost added to their tally before the break when Ciaran Smith’s speculative effort hit the bar. 
The second half started in even fashion as both side probed for the crucial fourth goal of the game. 
Indeed, Kesh came close to levelling matters when Jones shot low and hard from 20 yards but Carleton made a superb save down to his right hand side. From the resulting corner, Jones had another chance but could not get over the ball which flew over the bar. 
At the other end, Rangers quickly gave themselves some breathing space. 
The persistence and hard work of Cutler forced a poor back pass which he seized upon and broke into the box before tapping the ball to the supporting Keenan who slotted home from 12 yards for 3-1. 
It could have been 4-1 soon after with Cutler again the architect as he broke down the right and fired in a great cross but Currie somehow missed the target from close range. 
The impressive Cutler then arrowed a volley just over and the trickery of Currie almost created another goal when he danced into the box but could not get a decent shot away. 
At the other end, Kesh knew a goal would get them back into the game and they did get a couple of free kicks in dangerous area but their final ball was lacking and Carleton was rarely troubled. The final whistle sounded soon after to send Rangers second in the table ahead of a tough away tie in the Junior Cup against Aquinas in Belfast with Kerr keen to progress: “We are the holders and we know everybody will be gunning for us so we are going to have to play well but we want to retain the cup.”