Fermanagh 1-10 Queens 1-09

Seamus Quigley slotted home a 65th minute penalty as Fermanagh overcame a poor start to secure a one point win over Queens in the Dr. McKenna Cup at Brewster Park today.

Rory Gallagher's charges trailed by a point at the interval, 0-06 to 1-04 and the game was level when Fermanagh were awarded a penalty five minutes from time.

Quigley tucked the ball away from the spot but Queens hit back with two points to leave one in it as Fermanagh hung on for the victory to make it two wins out of two in the competition.

The home side though were very slow out of the blocks with Queens corner back Niall Keenan firing to the Fermanagh net in the second minute before Emmett Bradley added a point for the students.

Bradley then converted a free to put Queens into a 1-02 to 0-00 advantage while Fermanagh were misfiring in front of goal with the home side registering ten wides before full forward Conall Jones eventually opened their account in the 26th minute with a point from play.

Jones quickly added a second as Fermanagh finally started to find their range and although Bradley knocked over another free points from Jones and Ruairi Corrigan made it 0-04 to 1-03.

Tiarnan Rushe tagged on a further point for Queens but Fermanagh finished with points from Ryan Jones and Conall Jones to leave it 0-06 to 1-04 at the break.

Indeed, Gallagher's side went on to take the lead early in the second half as Conall Jones converted a free and Paul McCusker pointed from play but it was tit for tat after this as the sides traded scores.

Tiarnan Rushe and Ryan Burns were on target for Queens while Aidan Breen and another Conall Jones free made it 0-10 to 1-07.

Referee Steven Campbell then adjudged Queens goalkeeper Callum Mullan Young to have lifted the ball off the ground as he awarded Fermanagh a penalty which Quigley tucked away.

Back again though came Queens and Bradley and Brown added frees to leave the minimum between the sides.

And the students had a chance to snatch it at the death when Kinawley's Conor Murphy was put through on goal but Lee Cullen saved the shot on the line as Fermanagh finished up 1-10 to 1-09 winners.