St. Michael's 1-11 St. Colman's 1-11

St. Michael’s secured a point from their opening game in this year’s MacRory Cup competition against Newry side St. Colman’s in Killeshil.

In a good game of football, St. Michael’s looked to have got themselves into a strong position as they pushed five clear with ten minutes to go but a strong St. Colman’s side, who are one of the pre-competition favourites finished well to earn a share of the spoils from the encounter.

Indeed, St. Michael’s coach was happy with the result.

“We would be pleased with the draw and it is a positive start to the campaign,” said Corrigan.

“It was a great game for Round One of the competition and we got out of it what we wanted against a good side. Overall, I would be delighted with the performance from the lads.”

St. Michael’s played against the breeze in the first half but they contained their opponents well and following a nip and tuck 30 minutes of play they went in with a one point half time advantage, 0-06 to 0-05.

Conor Love and Brandon Horan both landed two points each in the first half for the Enniskillen school while Josh Largo Elis and Caolan Duffy also chipped in with scores.

St. Colman’s though upped their game in the third quarter and three points on the spin saw them turn a one point deficit into a two point advantage.

Two Conor Love points though for St. Michael’s put them two points to the good and things got even better when they struck for goal.

Love picked out substitute Garvan Quigley and he rifled to the net from 20 yards to make it 1-08 to 0-08.

When Love and Quigley tagged on further points the lead stretched out to five points with ten minutes to go.

Love though picked up a second yellow card and St. Colman’s responded with a goal of their own as they cut the gap back to one, 1-10 to 1-09.

A Largo Elis point edged St. Michael’s back two ahead but St. Colman’s hit the last two points to snatch a draw.

Best for St. Michael’s were Caolan Duffy, Aichlinn O’Cathain, Brandon Horan and Conor Love while Garvan Quigley and Ryan McGovern impressed from the bench.

Next up for St. Michael’s is a game against St. Patrick’s Dungannon next month. “We have a bit of a break now to our next game and we will get down and work on somethings that maybe didn’t go right for us today,” added Corrigan.