Irvinestown Wanderers 3

Dergview Reserves 0

An excellent performance by Irvinestown Wanderers earned them a 3-0 victory over an in form Dergview side at the Bawnacre on Saturday.

All the goals arrived in the opening 45 minutes for the home side with Thomas Owens bagging himself two and Ronan Ormssby scoring the other as the Wanderers recorded their second win of the campaign.

For Irvinestown manager Ryan Beacom it was a satisfying day at the office.

“I was delighted by the boys, I feel we came out strong, we knew Dergview were going to be tough, so we needed to start strong and fast and we did that. Early goals by Thomas put us on the front foot and the boys were excellent in keeping and extending the lead.

“Dergview tried to play football, but bar maybe one or two defensive errors, I don’t think they really had a look in. We can now take this result into our next game as it will fill us with confidence.”

Player unavailability hit Irvinestown hard in the opening weeks of the season and although they have been stronger in recent weeks, Beacom was again short on Saturday. However, he says they will be back next week for the meeting with Enniskillen Town.

“We had a few players missing so to get a result was really great, and next week we’ll have them back so that will give us even more confidence to go out and grab a result. However, we are very aware that there are no easy games in the league so we must take every game as it comes.”

Wanderers were much the brighter side in the opening stages of the encounter, playing a high press tactic that worked well.

And after eight minutes they got their reward for their early endeavours.

A long kick from Wanderers goalkeeper Francie Ward was misjudged by Daryl Pearson at the back and bounced over his head for Joey Millar to chase and lob over Dergview keeper Tom Hegan.

Millar’s effort was going to go the wrong side of the post but an alert Owens got a crucial touch to tap it in for 1-0.

Wanderers quickly went in search of a second and got it minutes later, with captain Gary Maguire crossing the ball in from the right to Owens who tapped in again for his, and the home side’s, second of the game.

Dergview did create a few chances of their own with James Harper making a run down the right-hand side and squaring the ball into the box only for the strikers shot to be blocked.

Wanderers made Dergview rue their mistake 10 minutes later as a great passing move found Irvinestown deep in Dergview’s half.

And Owens this time turned provider as he spotted Ronan Ormsby making a run in the box and his cross found Ormsby’s head and he nodded into the net for 3-0.

In the second half, James Harper continued to threaten for Dergview by making runs down the right hand side, but his crosses were defended well by the Wanderers defence.

Wanderers were also keen to add to their tally and Owens was played in for his hat trick but Hegan in the Dergview goal managed to pull off a good save while Ormsby’s rebound trickled across the face of goal and wide.

Five minutes later Ryan Beacom played a great long ball up to Ormsby, who took the ball down brilliantly, but his shot was saved well by Hegan.

Wanderers continued to push for a fourth and Eamon McCarney found himself through one on one but Hegan denied Wanderers again by pulling off a superb save, getting down low to his left and parrying the ball wide.

Dergview went close to getting a consolation goal late on with Harper playing a nice through ball to Timothy Crompton but Ward did well to make the save, keeping Wanderers clean sheet intact and bringing a close to a great Irvinestown Wanderers performance.