Enniskillen Rangers 4 Beragh Swifts 0

Half time substitutes Mark Cutler and Ciaran Brough made a positive impact as Enniskillen Rangers moved seven points clear at the top of the Mercer League table with a 4-0 victory over Beragh Swifts at the Ball Range.

That result did not look on the cards in the first half with the ‘Gers offering little threat in attack but the bold changes made by manager Michael Kerr paid off straight away. Brough was involved in William Burleigh’s equaliser within 30 seconds of the restart before then getting on the scoresheet a minute later as Rangers took control.

And Cutler then helped himself to a brace as Rangers secured the points and a healthy advantage at the top of the table.

“The first 45 minutes were not good at all but we had a constructive chat about how we would improve things at the break and the half time substitutes worked a treat as they had a big impact.

“I was pleased with the second half and in particular I was happy with our first and third goals because those were things we have worked on at training. We have had a good run since Christmas, the boys are playing well and we have a strong squad which is important,” he commented.

The league will take a back seat this week as Rangers quest for a third Junior Cup in a row continues with an away game against Foyle Wanderers.

“We would love to retain the Junior, that was a goal at the start of the season but we will just be taking it one game at a time. It’s an away game and it won’t be easy but hopefully we can get another good performance and get through to the quarter-finals. It’s a challenge for us but we are enjoying it,” added Kerr.

It was league business though on Saturday with Beragh the visitors to the Ball Range and the first half looked as if it might turn out to be one of those days for Rangers.

The home side offered little in the way of threat going forward while Beragh didn’t pose much danger either in the first half and at the break it remained scoreless.

Kerr opted to changes things around at the interval with Brough and Cutler coming on for top scorer Jason Keenan and Christopher Currie and within 30 seconds of the resumption Rangers had taken the lead.

David Crozier, Brough and Turley were all involved in the build up before Burleigh fired home from 20 yards for 1-0.

And it quickly got even better for Rangers when Burleigh this time turned provider as he squared for Brough to tap in.

‘Gers goalkeeper Jerome Carleton was called into action as he pushed a shot around the post but from the resultant corner the home side swept forward for their third.

Brough fed Stuart Rainey down the left and he crossed for Cutler to slot home from close range.

And Cutler went on to wrap up the scoring when he capitalised on a poor kick out to make it 4-0 at the finish.