Fivemiletown College 1 Devenish College 0

A Peter Campbell goal six minutes from time saw Fivemiletown College retain the McKee Cup with victory over Devenish College at Fisher Park on Wednesday morning.

A tight and well contested final looked to be heading to extra time as neither side were able to make the breakthrough but with six minutes to go Fivemiletown were awarded a free on the left hand side of the box. The free was worked short to Jamie Stewart and although his effort was pushed on to the bar by Sam McDonald in the Devenish goal, Campbell was quickest to react to slot home what proved to be the winner.

The first half was a cagey and tight affair with both sides looking nervous but as the half wore on it was Devenish who were beginning to get on top in terms of territory and they won a series of set pieces that were played into the box. However, a strong Fivemiletown defensive unit remained resolute in front of goalkeeper Nathan Copeland who was named the man of the match.

Indeed, the goalkeeper made a good stop to deny Ethan Thompson who had raced down the right wing before firing a powerful effort at goal.

At the other end, Fivemiletown always looked dangerous on the break and created some good counter attacks but at the break it remained 0-0.

Devenish were certainly on the front foot at the start of the second half with Danny Wilson having an immediate impact on the left wing while Thompson again created some good scoring opportunities but was unable to find the net with Copeland continuing to impress.

Fivemiletown though grew into the contest and after forcing a number free kicks Campbell popped up with the decisive goal of the tie.

Devenish did have a couple of late chances with Nicky Collen volleying over the bar from close range but they were unable to breach the Fivemiletown defence as it finished 1-0.

In the end, it was Fivemiltown who were able to take their chance when it came along while they were able to nullify the Devenish attack at the other end of the pitch to secure the victory.

And it was a win that delighted coach Philip Wallace.

"As the teacher, I am very proud of the boys. They delivered their best performance when it mattered, in the final. The school has managed to retain the McKee Cup for a second year in a row so it is another successful year," he commented.