Tummery Athletic 3 Finaghy 1

Tummery Athletic booked their place in the last eight of this year’s Junior Cup as they came from behind to record a 3-1 win over Finaghy at Crawford’s Lane on Saturday.

Gerry Love’s side had fell behind after only five minutes after a mix up at the back but an Aidy McCaffrey goal had them back on level terms at half time.

And they went on to secure their passage into the quarter-finals as McCaffrey netted his second before Ruairi Sludden wrapped things up with the home side’s third.

“We were slow to get going which probably wasn’t helped by the fact that we haven’t had a game since we played Kesh and Finaghy came into the game in good form. However, we did start to settle into it and in the end we were comfortable.

“I thought in the likes of Ronan McNabb, Ryan Hanna and Ruairi Sludden we had some brilliant performances and we’re now looking forward to our quarter final against Oliver Plunketts,” said Love.

Before that though the focus will switch to the defence of the Mulhern Cup and away game against Glebe and Love is keen to maintain their good form.

“We want to keep the momentum going and of course we want to do well in the Mulhern Cup,” he said.

Saturday’s clash got off to a poor start for the Dromore outfit who conceded with only five minutes on the clock when a mix up between a defender and the goalkeeper allowed the Finaghy striker to nip in and score.

Tummery though quickly settled to the task after this and they were soon creating chances.

Sludden got through but scuffed a shot before McCaffrey fired wide when well placed.

With 25 minutes gone though they did bag the equaliser as Malachy McLaughlin drove down the right before pulling the ball back for McCaffrey who buried his shot into the bottom corner for 1-1.

Finaghy remained a threat on the counter but it was Tummery who were on top at this stage and McNabb’s dipping effort was denied by the corner of the bar and post while McLaughlin shot inches past the post as it remained 1-1 at half time.

The home side continued to push at the start of the second half and with 55 minutes played they deservedly took the lead as McCaffrey latched on to a ball back to the goalkeeper and he hooked it over the netminder to the net for 2-1.

The game was then put beyond the visitors as Sludden picked up the ball on the break and powered his way to the edge of the box before curling a fine effort to the corner of the net for 3-1.

Finaghy did have a late chance to pull a goal back but Athletic defender Blaine Campbell made a good block as Tummery ran out 3-1 winners to keep alive their hopes of a first ever Junior Cup title.