Fermanagh 0-14 Donegal 0-12

Fermanagh booked their spot in the last four of the Ulster U20 Championship, and a meeting with Derry, with a deserved two point victory over Donegal in Brewster Park tonight.

Ollie Fay's side led by a point at the interval, and then by three points twice in the second half, but Donegal rallied and with the game drawing to a close momentum appeared to be with the away side as they hit three points in a row to make it 0-12 apiece.

However, Fermanagh remained composed and Fergal McGovern tapped over a close in free after Johnny Cassidy and Brandon Horan had led a quick break by the Ernemen before substitute McGovern then clipped over a point from play to seal the victory.

This was a strong team performance from Fermanagh. Ultan Kelm's driving runs out of defence caused problems for Donegal until he was withdrawn early in the second half while Josh Largo Elis was immense at the back, especially late on.

At midfield, Eoin Beacom and Brandon Horan both put in solid shifts as Fermanagh gained a solid platform in that sector while further forward Callum Jones had a fine game while Darragh McBrien's ability to carry the ball at pace was key in the second half.

And Fermanagh had scoring threats from different areas with nine players in all getting on the scoresheet.

Fermanagh started the game on the front foot with Beacom rattling over the first point of the game in the opening minute before Kelm raced in to score and Jones fired over to make it 0-03 to 0-00.

Donegal finally got off the mark with a point from Paddy Dolan while Fermanagh goalkeeper Cian Newman was called on to pull off a good save from Conor O'Donnell.

Captain Cameron McBrien restored the three point advantage for Fermanagh but Donegal were beginning to settle into it and Shane McDevitt converted a free before midfelder Dolan tagged on his second of the game to cut the gap back to one.

Lorcan McStravick and Ryan Cunningham then traded points but a McDevitt free and a Conor O'Donnell point from play had Donegal ahead for the first time late in the half.

However, Fermanagh finished the half well and points from Conor Love and a Darragh McGurn free sent the home side in 0-07 to 0-06 up at the break.

And that lead was stretched out to three early in the second half as Jones banged over a fine point while Sean Cassidy also tapped over, opting to point after getting on the end of a poor kick out from the goalkeeper.

Donegal though refused to throw in the towel as Peadar Mogan and Conor O'Donnell pointed although a McGurn free left Fermanagh 0-10 to 0-08 ahead with 41 minutes on the clock.

An O'Donnell free again closed the gap to the minimum but a monster point from Jones and good effort from Beacom after good play from Darragh McBrien had the home side three in front with 11 minutes to go.

Back once more came Donegal though and with O'Donnell and Dolan among the points they levelled things up by the 59th minute.

Dolan however was to pick up a second yellow to leave Donegal to see out the game with 14 and in added on time Fermanagh were to take control with Mc Govern tapping over the free after the foul on Horan before he then clipped over from play as Fermanagh ran out two point victors.


C Newman; E Shiels, J Cassidy, F Keenan; U Kelm (0-1), J Largo Elis, R Breen; E Beacom (0-2), B Horan; C McBrien (0-1), C Jones (0-3), D McBrien; L McStravick (0-01), S Cassidy (0-01), D McGurn (0-2, 2f)

Subs – C Love (0-1) for McStravick (20mins), P Breen for Kelm (35 mins), L Owens for C McBrien (41 mins), F McGovern (0-2, 1f) for Cassidy (55 mins), J Reihill for McGurn (60mins)


E O’Boyle; P McEniff, C McFadden, M McGroarty; K McGlynn, J McKelvey, A Deeney; R McMahon, P Dolan (0-3); J McSharry, C O’Donnell (0-2), R Cunningham (0-1); S McDevitt (0-2, 2f), C O’Donnell (0-03, 2f), P Mogan (0-1)

Subs – S Byrne for McGroarty (32mins), S O’Donnell for McDevitt (38mins), M McAteer for Cunningham (43 mins),  K McGroddy for McMahon (53 mins), N Hannigan for O’Donnell (60 mins)