Derrygonnelly 0-08 Belnaleck 0-08


Holders Derrygonnelly and Belnaleck will have to do it again next weekend after their Quinn Building Products SFC semi-final finished in a draw in Brewster Park this evening.

In a tight, cagey affair the Harps led by two at the break, 0-06 to 0-04, but Belnaleck responded in the second half and a Darragh McBrien free in the 23rd minute edged the Art McMurroughs into 0-08 to 0-07 lead.

However, Conall Jones landed a levelling free for Derrygonnelly and with neither side able to find a winner in added on time the tie finished in a draw.

Derrygonnelly, who are going in search of their fifth New York Cup in a row, started the livelier as they claimed a 0-04 to 0-01 lead by the 20th minute.

Garvan Jones (2) and Conall Jones (2) accounted for the Harps scores during this period while Kane Connor notched the opening Belnaleck point.

Belnaleck did close the gap back to one as Darragh McGurn converted a free and Bryan Owens landed a fine effort from play but with 24 minutes on the clock Derrygonnelly were awarded a penalty for a foul on Conall Jones. The forward stepped up to hit the spot kick himself but his drive hit the crossbar and went over to put two in it.

And the sides traded points late in the half through frees from Garvan Jones and Darragh McGurn to leave it 0-06 to 0-04 at the break.

Last year's Intermeidate champions, Belnaleck, though got off to a good start to the second half as Bryan Owens knocked over a tidy point although they then suffered a big blow when they lost Che Cullen to a black card.

However, they made light of this set back as McGurn tied up things at 0-06 apiece from a free in the 39th minute.

Derrygonnelly got their noses back in front from a good effort from Garvan McGinley on the right but again Belnaleck replied with substitute Darragh McBrien rattling over a 45 to make it 0-07 to 0-07.

And McBrien then landed a long range free to put the Division Two side in front for the first time in the game.

The Harps were wayward with a number of attempts including a Conall Jones free kick but Jones made amends when he levelled things from a fre in the 60th minute.

Belnaleck did have one last chance to snatch the victory at the death when they were awarded a free but McBrien strike from outside the 45 just tailed wide as it finished 0-08 apiece.