Kinawley 1-17 Belcoo 3-03


Kinawley produced a dominant performance as they eased to the Fermanagh Intermediate Football Championship title with a 1-17 to 3-03 victory over Belcoo at Brewster Park tonight.

The Brian Borus had the better of things in all sectors of the pitch as they opened up a 1-09 to 0-03 half time lead.

And they continued to dictate the play in the second half as they pushed into a 1-16 to 0-03 lead before Belcoo hit a late three goal salvo.

It was too little too late though for the O'Rahillys as Kinawley secured their return to the Senior Football Championship for the 2020 season.

Belcoo had landed the opening score of the game through Ciaran Flaherty but this was the only time in the game that they led and Kinawley soon began to gain the upperhand as Sean McManus, Shea Keenan and the Corrigan brothers, Tomás and the excellent Ruairi, got them up and running on the scoreboard.

Indeed, the Corrigan brothers were the chief scorers for the Brian Borus on the night, contributing five points apiece over the course of the hour.

Flaherty did rattle over his second point of the tie before Tom Keenan and Christopher Leonard exchanged points as Kinawley led 0-05 to 0-03 after 18 minutes.

It was all one way traffic though over the remainder of the half as Ruairi Corrigan fired over a fine point from play before Conor Murphy struck for the only goal of the game. The half back swapped passes with Shaun Doherty before palming to the net to make it 1-06 to 0-03.

Paul Breen, who had a fine game at midfield, extended that lead with a point before the Corrigan brothers tagged on further scores to leave the Brian Borus nine clear at half time.

And Kinawley went on to register the opening seven points of the second half to put the game beyond Belcoo's reach.

Tomás Corrigan, Ruairi Corrigan, Tom Keenan, Sean McManus and Paul Breen were all among the points during this spell as they moved into a 1-16 to 0-03 lead.

Belcoo though never threw in the towel and they hit back with three goals in as many minutes.

Flaherty produced a super finish for their first in the 51st minute, Paul McGrath then rifled to the net after a 45 was lobbed in on top of the Kinawley goal and Brian Cox forced home a third moments later to make it 1-16 to 3-03.

It was Kinawley though who rounded off the scoring with Tomás Corrigan slotting over a free as they deservedly claimed the title.