Derrychara United 2 Maguiresbridge 1

DERRYCHARA came from a goal behind to record their first win of the season, with goals from Craig Johnston and Tiernan Magee earning them a narrow victory over Maguiresbridge who had taken an early lead through Stuart Murphy.

Derrychara Manager Johnny Noble admitted that his side had to weather an early storm before securing the win.

“It is good to get off the mark and we will take the win, but they dominated the game for the opening 30 minutes,” he acknowledged.

“They scored after eight minutes, and had two great chances, and only for Nathan Noble making two good saves it could have been a different story.

“At half time I changed it about a bit and changed our attacking formation, and in my opinion we were the better team in the second half.

“We worked hard for it and we earned it, but there are definitely no easy games in that division, and there is no room to be making errors.

“If you don’t perform on the day you are going to get turned over this season.”

Frustrated Maguiresbridge boss Andy Carlton was left to rue a succession of missed chances from his side, and he felt they did not get what they deserved from the game.

“We should have been four or five up at half time,” he said.

“We should have been out of sight and the game should have been over. We made two mistakes in the second half, and they capitalised on it.

“We had more opportunities in the second half as well to win the game but couldn’t get the ball in the back of the net.

“The boys played very well, in fairness. We played them off the pitch, but we were punished for not taking our chances.”

Maguiresbridge looked the most threatening of the two teams right from the kick-off, but a succession of chances went unconverted.

Shane Ingram, Tommy McMahon and Ronan McManus all had early opportunities to open the scoring, but it took until 20 minutes for the breakthrough to arrive when Stuart Murphy fired in an Ingram cutback.

Derrychara had an effort ruled out before half time for a foul on the goalkeeper, but they were level early in the second half when Craig Johnston pounced on a mishit back pass to score.

Johnston also came close with a long-range lob, and Tiernan Magee had a shot well saved, but Maguiresbridge were still carving out their own chances, with McManus, Ingram and Tommy McMahon missing out on opportunities.

With five minutes remaining, Derrychara scored the decisive goal of the match, Magee beating two players and firing past the keeper to earn the home team a hard-earned victory.