Fivemiletown II 1 Derrychara United 1

DERRYCHARA United and Fivemiletown II shared the points in a closely contested match, with both Managers reflecting that a more clinical performance in front of goal could have swung the game their way.

Fivemiletown took an early lead, with a lob from Scott Johnston, with Kevin Ermay’s equaliser coming midway through the first half, but neither side could find the goal that could snatch all three points.

“We had enough chances to win the game comfortably,” reckoned Derrychara Manager Johnny Noble.

“They are a good side, but we restricted them to maybe two shots on target, and we should have put it to bed.

“It was just one of those games where we didn’t take our chances.

“I was 100 per cent impressed with the boys and the way they applied themselves in the game.

“It came down to not taking our chances.”

There was similar frustration for Fivemiletown boss Aaron Gowdy, who acknowledged that there was little to choose between the sides.

“Both teams had their opportunities but I think, all in all, a draw was probably the best result,” he said.

“We had a couple of missed opportunities and Derrychara had a couple of good chances as well.

“I knew they could be dangerous up front, but we stayed disciplined.

“When they broke they looked dangerous, but when we played our football we looked dangerous as well, and when we played our own game, instead of getting dragged into their game, then we started to play the ball around them.

“The guys have worked hard the past few weeks and the games have been real gritty battles where they have had to fight tooth and nail. Sometimes you have to dig in and fight.”

After a quiet start to the match it was the home team that made the breakthrough when Scott Johnston spotted United keeper Nathan Noble off his line, and lifted the ball over his head.

Derrychara responded well to the setback and came close to levelling the match when Tiernan Magee fired narrowly wide from 15 yards out.

Scott Walker also spurned a chance, before Kevin Ermay grabbed the equaliser, drilling a low shot into the corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.

Both sides had opportunities to grab a late winner after a cagey second half, but the closest either side came was a Lee Glass effort that was superbly saved by goalkeeper Sean O’Boyle in the dying minutes of the match.

In the end, both sides had to settle for a point apiece.