Maguiresbridge 3 Lisnarick 2

MAGUIRESBRIDGE grabbed a well-earned three points at home to Lisnarick with three first-half penalties, two going the way of the home side, proving crucial.

Maguiresbridge Manager Andy Carleton felt his side were deserving winners on the day.

He said: “It was a very physical game from start to finish, but I feel we fully deserved the victory – the lads fought hard and dug deep when needed to, so all credit to them.

“At times we made it hard for ourselves. It wasn’t our best performance by any stretch, but we managed to grind out a result and earn a deserved three points, which is all that matters at the end of the day.”

Lisnarick Manager Neil Amos admitted that his side did not do enough.

“Maguiresbridge were very well organised throughout the game and we got sucked into their physical game, which cost us.

“We did not play the football we wanted to play in the first half, and ended up chasing the game in the second half. We did not do enough on the day and got bullied off the ball.

“All credit to Maguiresbridge, however, as they played very well and deserved the victory.

“They’ve been in this league a couple of years now so they know how to grind out a result. We missed a lot of chances towards the end, so we had opportunities to win it but it wasn’t to be,” he said.

It was all about the penalties in the first half, the referee pointed to the spot three times and all were converted.

The first one was given to Maguiresbridge 15 minutes in, which McDonald slotted home, giving the home side the lead.

Lisnarick were gifted the opportunity to equalise 15 minutes later after Peter Law was brought down and McCauley converted.

Just before half time, however, Maguiresbridge regained the lead after McDonald got his second, smashing home another spot kick.

Early into the second half Maguiresbridge took a foothold in the game with a third, this time Adam Chartres with a header from point-blank from a Maguiresbridge corner, giving them a comfortable lead going into the latter stages of the game.

Looking for a way to get back into it, Peter Law rose highest from a corner to head home Lisnarick’s second, giving them hope of a comeback, but it was too little too late for Amos’ team as Maguiresbridge held on to earn a hard-fought three points.