Kinawley 1-10 Ederney 0-12

An Eoghan McManus 49th minute goal proved to be crucial as the Brian Borus clinched their spot in the knockout stages of the Fermanagh SFC with a one point victory away to Ederney on Saturday evening.

In a tight encounter, a goal was always going to be a key score and McManus’ well finished effort put Kinawley two ahead and they were able to stay in front through to the conclusion to make it two wins out of two.

Kinawley now take on Enniskillen this Saturday and although both sides are already qualified there is still plenty at stake with the winner topping the group which comes with a place in the semi-final, while the loser will have a home game in the quarter final.

Kinawley selector Barry Maguire believes that his side face a huge test of their credentials on Saturday.

“We’re under no illusions that this is a massive test this week. We played Enniskillen in the Club Players’ Competition and in the league and they won on both occasions so we know it will be a tough game,” he said.

He acknowledges though that winning the group would give that side a welcome week’s break ahead of a semi-final encounter.

“The games are coming thick and fast and we’ve had two very close competitive games so that does take its toll,” he added.

On the Ederney game, he commented: “We’re delighted to get the win. Unlike last week, we started the game well and got ahead but they then had a purple patch before half time to take the lead.

“Half time probably came at a good time for us and there was little in it in the second half but we got the goal and in a tight game like this, a goal was going to be a big score.”

That is though back to back defeats for Ederney and they must now see off Roslea this Saturday to maintain their championship hopes and avoid the dreaded relegation play off.

“It is a massive game and we expect nothing but a real battle against Roslea. They are an experienced championship side and we will be paying them the utmost of respect,” said Ederney boss Mickey Cassidy.

And he feels that they will have to take more of their chances this Saturday if they are to keep their championship hopes alive.

“We have missed too many chances in both our games and that has cost us and we know that if we get goals chances especially on Saturday we will have to take them,” he added.

Kinawley enjoyed the better of things over the opening 25 minute or so of the contest but they failed to make this properly count on the scoreboard as Ederney stayed in touch.

Tomás Corrigan registered the first two scores of the game from frees before Pól McKervey opened Ederney’s account from a free.

The Brian Borus continued to shade things and a fine Aaron O’Reilly point put them 0-03 to 0-01 ahead.

Back though came Ederney and Paul McCusker and McKervey knocked over points to level up matters by the 25th minute.

There was to be a cluster of scores though in the closing stages of the first half. Tomás Corrigan knocked over a close in free and Ruairi Corrigan the fizzed an effort just over the bar after good play by Aaron Tierney to again put the Brian Borus two points to the good.

The remainder of the half though belonged to Ederney as they turned a two point deficit into a two point half time advantage.

Kinawley goalkeeper Owen Melanaphy made a good save to deny Marty McGrath after he had been put through by Ryan Maguire but Chris Snow nailed the resultant 45 to make it 0-05 to 0-04.

Finbarr Gillen then levelled things with a good point and McKervey nudged the home side ahead from a free.

And in added on time Ryan Morris swung over a point to leave it 0-07 to 0-05 in Ederney’s favour at the interval.

Indeed, that lead was out to three points when Paul McCusker tapped over a free after a foul on Conor McGee.

Kinawley though settled back to the task in hand after this and Tomás Corrigan landed another free before Sean McManus slotted over after good work by Ruairi Corrigan to make it 0-08 to 0-07.

It was tit for tat during the second half with Jacob Britton firing over for Ederney while Corrigan kept the scoreboard ticking over for Kinawley with another free.

Paul McCusker then had a chance to put two in it again but he shot wide from a 14 yard free although Ryan Morris did land a good score for the home side soon after to make it 0-10 to 0-08 with 13 minutes left to play.

Liam Owens replied with a point for Kinawley and then came the key score of the game as Tomás Corrigan and experienced substitute Shaun Doherty combined to set up Eoghan McManus who dispatched his shot past Snow to the back of the Ederney net.

Ederney did reply with a McKervey free to leave one in it but Kinawley went down the other end and Tomás Corrigan was found in space and he slotted over to make it 1-10 to 0-11.

Ederney went in search of a way back into the game and goalkeeper Snow popped up to fire over from play as the contested entered the 60th minute to leave one between them.

However, they could not find an equaliser as the Brian Borus, who had Paddy McGovern dismissed after picking up a second yellow card, stood firm to clinch the points.