Ballynahinch 2nd XV 14 Enniskillen 1st XV 38

Enniskillen were on the road again last Saturday, to play Ballynahinch 2s in the second match of the group stage of the Junior Cup, also involving Ballymoney and Malone 2s. 
Conditions were dry, though there had been rain earlier, and there was a strong wind at times, into which Skins played the first half. ‘Hinch were well organised and moved the ball from side to side, probing. They soon opened the scoring with a converted try and very nearly repeated the feat shortly after, but the Skins defence then held firm and forced a turnover after 13 phases of tackling. 
Skins were moving the ball well too, mixing that with a variety of kicks from the half-backs, Dane and Keys. 
They dominated territory and possession for the remainder of the first period but couldn’t cross the line until the last play, when Mathew Graham powered over and Eddie Keys converted, to draw level at 7-7.
Play ebbed and flowed at the start of the second period, with Skins edging the scrums and lineouts, though it was from a turnover in open play that they would take the lead. Niall Keenan ripped a ball free at a tackle on the Skins’ 10 metre line. Ben McLaren snapped up the loose ball, evaded several defenders and showed a clean pair of heels to run in from 60 metres. 
McLaren had the ball in his hands again from the kick off. He carried and kicked ahead, into the ‘Hinch half. Harry Dane was up in the chasing line to make a critical tackle and force a penalty, which Keys knocked over to extend the lead to 17-7 in Skins’ favour.
The backline had to be reorganised, with Sam Balfour moving to full-back to relieve Harry Ingram, who had picked up a slight strain. 
Balfour was soon in action, winning a 50-50 kick by Hinch on half-way and nearly making the line. Following a forward pass 10 metre out, Skins won the ‘Hinch scrum and Henry Keys picked up at 8 and scored on the blindside. Twin brother Eddie converted.
The home team struck back and eventually scored again to make it 24-14. They pressed again and came very close to closing the gap to three points. Following aggressive defence Skins took play to a lineout on the Hinch 22. 
Tim Harte, who had taken over from Balfour on the right wing, turned up on the left-hand side to skirt around the Hinch 13 and put McLaren in for his second. Keys converted from out wide.
Sam Balfour completed the scoring when ‘Hinch spilled the ball on the Skins 22 and he kicked ahead, did it again twice and was first to touch down. Keys converted to finish the game at 38-14 to Enniskillen.
Skins and Ballymoney will go through to the quarter finals from the group of four. They meet in the new year to decide who finishes top.
Skins 1st XV have no game this Saturday and next play their home fixture in the Towns’ Cup against Portadown in a fortnight. However, the 2nds do have a crucial league game at Mullaghmeen this week when they play Omagh.