Enniskillen Gaels 0-13 Derrylin 0-09

Derrylin and Enniskillen Gaels met in a game to decide who would finish bottom of 1B in the Club Player’s Competition on Friday and it was the O’Connell’s who would rue missed chances as they eventually fell to a four-point defeat.

Both sides had just one win each heading into the game but Simon Bradley’s side secured a fourth-place play-off match at home to Belcoo after seeing off the O’Connell’s at Brewster Park.

Derrylin manager Sean Donnelly said after the game: “If we had taken our chances. We dropped about seven or eight balls into the keeper’s hands, that would have took us closer to winning the game.

"Then we did pull it back and had a goal chance but hit the crossbar, there were two points in it at the time with two minutes to go. I think they got a point from the kick-out and that was it then.”

Donnelly’s side will now face neighbours Belnaleck in the fifth-place play-off game.

“The two teams will be looking to get something out of Club Players anyway, it would be good to get a point out of it, it would be useful at the end of the season,” he added.

Enniskillen Gaels led 0-07 to 0-03 at halftime as John Reihill helped himself to three points, one of them coming via a free kick. 

Conor Watson also got his name on the scoresheet with two scores while Richie O’Callaghan and Ethan Beresford also pointed.

Derrylin were well in the game at that stage however shots dropping short and a number of wides cost them dearly with Cathair Leonard and Fearghal McGovern adding their points in the opening half an hour.

The Enniskillen side would maintain their four-point advantage in the second half with the introduction of substitute Jamie Steele a positive for them as he grabbed two points.

Paddy Reihill and James O’Donnell pointed while Jake Smith and McGovern made up the visitor’s scores.

Derrylin pulled it back to 0-11 to 0-09 and had a chance to go in front when Josh Smith broke through the Gaels defence but his shot at goal rattled back off the crossbar as Gaels punished their opponents at the other end.

John Reihill kicked a final free of the game to close out the win to make two wins on the trot.