Derrygonnelly 1-14 Belcoo 0-09

Derrygonnelly rounded off their 1A group campaign with a comfortable victory over Belcoo in sunny conditions at Canon Maguire Park last Friday.

It sees them finish the group top with three wins and a draw and they will now play Ederney on Friday evening.

For Belcoo it left them with one win and three losses to set up a clash with Enniskillen Gaels.

The Harps got off the mark straight from the throw-in. Stephen McGullion won it and after patient play, he was on the end of the move to slot over.

Both sides were wasteful before Jarlath Flanagan found space and scored before Gary McKenna hit a free.

Belcoo got their first score after some quick hands put Dara Flanagan in on goal but his shot went over the bar.

And straight from the kick-out Derrygonnelly went and found the net.

The long kick was broken to Leigh Jones and he raced through before squaring to Flanagan who palmed to the net, 1-03 to 0-01.

Jack Kelly then fired over a ’45 for the hosts and this was followed by a Patrick Duffy score.

Eoin Shiels pointed after a strong run and then Belcoo had a goal chance of their own.

A mark by Ciarán Flaherty dropped in the square and was touched on the ground by a Harps player and the referee awarded a penalty.

However, Paul McGrath’s attempt was saved by Kelly before the danger was cleared and it stayed 1-05 to 0-02.

Flanagan got his second score of the day followed by an Aidan Duffy point and Patrick Durkin free as the home side remained in control.

The final score of the half was Belcoo’s as he fisted over from close to the end line, 1-08 to 0-03.

Derrygonnelly’s Aidan Duffy flashed a loose ball over the bar to resume the scoring at the start of the second half.

Gary McKenna followed it with a fine score aided by the post with Belcoo’s first score coming from Ethan Butler shortly after.

Gary Doherty then made a great save from Leigh Jones before Gerard McHugh pointed for Belcoo.

Niall Maguire responded for the Harps and McKenna followed with another point.

Lawrence McKeown fired over for Belcoo as did McGrath to make it 1-12 to 0-07.

Leigh Jones pointed under pressure to stop Belcoo’s run with Gary McKenna then converting a free.

Belcoo did have a couple of goal chances in the closing stages but Kelly saved well from Flanagan with Eoin Corrigan flashing one rebound over the bar. McKeown hit a late free as well after the referee judged there was a foot block on a Corrigan shot but it was all in vain as it finished 1-14 to 0-09.

Looking back at the game, Paul Ward, Derrygonnelly selector said: “We were happy to get another win but there were aspects of our display we need to work on.

“We have another tough game this Friday to finish of the Club Players’ Competition [against Ederney].”