Tummery Athletic 1 Magheraveely 3

Magheraveely moved off the foot of division one with their second successive victory. Having gone seven games without notching a point their latest scalp came with a 3-1 success over Tummery. 
Goals from Warren Stewart and Matthew Johnston gave them a two goal lead at half time and although Tummery set up a nervy finish thanks to Cathal Beacom reducing the deficit, a last minute Gordon Gregg strike secured a valuable three points.
In difficult wintry conditions Tummery had more of the ball, but Magheraveely manager Richard Farrell was delighted with how his team coped. 
“We knew that we were going to have to defend strongly and be well organised, and take the chances when they came, which I thought we did well,” he said. 
“We stood up to them very well, and had that wee bit of luck that we needed that we haven’t been getting in the first half of this season.”
Having pulled themselves ahead of Lisnaskea in the table Magheraveely are how hoping they can keep their winning streak going against Mountjoy on Saturday. “Confidence is high now,” said Richard. “In the last two weeks we have been very short of players and the squad has been stretched because we have had a lot on injuries. The guys that came in, in particular the few guys from the reserve team, have done very well for us in these two games and everyone is working hard together. The momentum is there and hopefully we can keep it going.”
The pattern of the match was established early on in the contest with Tummery dominating possession and Magheraveely defending effectively to deny them a clear sight of goal. It did not take long for the away side’s game plan to pay dividends as Alan Gregg’s scuffed shot was turned in by Warren Stewart to give Magheraveely a surprise lead. Twenty minutes later an upset looked on the cards when they added a second. Stewart did well down the right wing, and although Matthew Johnston failed to get on the end of the cross, when the ball returned into the penalty area he took a touch before firing into the bottom corner.
Tummery almost got back into contention as the half drew to a close when Sludden raced on to a ball over the top of the defence, but Gerry Grew blocked with his feet to preserve the two goal lead.
Tummery continued to press forward in the second period but Magheraveely were holding form, and were having an element of good fortune, with an attempted Gordon Gregg clearance coming back off the underside of the crossbar and into the goal keeper’s arms. Magheraveely were still having their own chances in front of goal, but twice Stewart spurned good opportunities, and Alan Gregg rounded the keeper but could not convert from a tight angle.
With twenty minutes remaining Tummery were reduced to ten men when Ryan Hanna received a second yellow card, but two minutes later they had pulled a goal back through Cathal Beacom. As they continued to press for a late equaliser Magheraveely took advantage, scoring on a counter attack in the dying seconds through Gordon Gregg to ease their nerves and take the points.