Enniskillen Rangers 3 Willowbank 1

Holders Enniskillen Rangers sealed their place in the last eight of the fonaCAB Junior Cup with a 3-1 win over Belfast outfit Willowbank at the Ball Range on Saturday.
With the game having been postponed twice at the original Belfast venue, the game was switched to Enniskillen at the third time of asking and following a very competitive affair it was the champions who progressed.
Michael Kerr’s ‘Gers side led at the break thanks to a Mark Cutler goal although the away side did have a penalty saved by by home goalkeeper Jerome Carleton.
And goals from captain William Burleigh and a second from Cutler in the second half sealed the win for Rangers with the away side grabbing a late consolation goal.
Boss Kerr though was in no doubt about the quality of the opposition they overcame on Saturday.
“I’m absolutely delighted to get through to the last eight because they were a very, very good side, better than any side we beat on our way to winning the competition last year. They were well organised, they had pace and they played good football so it was a very good win for us,” said Kerr.
The ‘Gers player-manager felt that his side showed the character they possess to get past Saturday’s opponents as he admits that they were rusty coming into the game.
“We have only played twice since December 16 while they have played eight times, they have been playing consistently each week and that told because we were rusty. We were delighted to get in at half time in front and we were tired at half time because that first half was played at a really high pace but I thought they boys really showed their determination and character in the second half. We produced a strong second half and we showed how much we wanted to win the game. I have also no doubt that game will benefit us now moving on,” added Kerr.
There was little in the way of clear cut chances in the first half of the contest and it was the away side who probably shaded matters but with 20 minutes on the clock it was Rangers who took the lead.
A Kerr free kick was deflected out to Jason Keenan and he knocked the ball across the box for Cutler to turn home for 1-0.
Willowbank though had a great opportunity to bag an equaliser ten minutes later as a scramble in the box resulted in David Crozier been penalised for handling the ball and the referee pointed to the spot.
However, Carleton pulled off a wonderful save as the home side maintained their advantage at the break.
Rangers were glad of the half time break and Kerr targeted a quick start to thr second period as Rangers looked to get on top.
Cutler did get through but he was denied by a last ditch tackle before Rangers did go on to double their lead.
Kerr’s free kick from the middle of the park was worked out to Keenan and then on to Cutler whose cross was met by the head of Burleigh for 2-0.
And the home side went on to put the game to bed with their third. 
Keenan intercepted possession and slipped in Cutler who nipped the ball past the advancing goalkeeper to make it 3-0 to Rangers.
Willowbank did pull a goal back right at the death when Crozier turned a cross into his own net but this was merely a consolation for the away side as Rangers set up a quarter-final away tie against Portavogie Rangers on Saturday March 3.
Before that though Rangers have a Mulhern Cup tie against Irvinestown Wanderers to negotiate and Kerr is eager for a run in this competition as well.
“We’ve Irvinestown in the Mulhern Cup this week and we know it won’t be easy as they are a good side but the aim for us is to progress. 
“Every game we go into we want to win, no matter what the competition is and we will go into it with good confidence from last Saturday’s Junior Cup win,” added Kerr.