Clogher Valley will play Bangor 2nd XV in the quarter-final of the Towns’ Cup following a convincing win over Rainey at the Cran in a match played last Thursday in horrendous weather conditions.

Bangor’s 1st XV won the cup last year before moving up to the senior ranks and Valley joint coach Davy Black was happy enough with the draw.

“It is what is it is. We would have preferred a home tie and it is always difficult to gauge a 2nd XV but it is a quarter-final and our aim is to progress to the semi-final,” said Black.

He was, however, delighted with the win against Rainey last week. “We played on the Thursday because they were struggling for the Saturday and we knew it would be more of a game which it was. The first half was tight but the boys did well and pulled away in the second. It was very wet and windy but cup games are all about winning and that is what we did.” Valley started well, dominated possession and advanced to the Rainey 22 and from one off a series of 5 metre scrums centre Breen drove through for an uncoverted try.

The relatively easy kick was missed but Valley led 5-0 after 10 minutes.

Valley were handling better than Rainey in the conditions and with man of the match flanker Mills making a series of strong tackles and turnovers appeared to be in control. However they became complacent and after 25 minutes Rainey No 10 ghosted through several midfield tackles to score a try. Again the easy kick was missed in the tricky conditions.

From the restart Rainey were penalised and although 40 metres out Valleys scrum half Trotter kicked a good goal for a Valley lead of 8-5. The score remained that to half time but Valley lost Trimble and Breen to injury just before the break.

At the start of the second period Valley upped the pace of the game and started to exert a stranglehold on Rainey. Valley were taking command in the scrums and taking ball against the head. After 52 minutes a Valley penalty was kicked to touch in Rainey 22. As usual the Valley catch and drive went as far as the try line but was held up. The ball was recycled and prop McAleer crashed over for a try. Trotter added the points and Valley were now comfortable at 15-5.

Valley scored again after 57 minutes when BJ Wilson, replacing an injured brother Ryan, showed his abilities when he was fed from the base of a ruck, about to be tackled, he released to the second supporting player and a small gap was made. Eventually the ball went lose but an awkward bounce saw a supporting Trotter catch and go over in the corner. Trotter then converted from the touchline and Valley to make it 22-5 at the final whistle.

It’s Omagh this Saturday.

“It is a local derby, they are going for the title and they put 50 points on us earlier in the season, so I know the lads will be up for it and I expect a lot closer game this time around,” concluded the Valley man.