Clogher Valley 5 Ballyclare 21 Clogher Valley coach Davy Black admits that they are going to have to address their discipline following Saturday’s 21-5 defeat to Ballyclare at the Cran.

Having started the game well, and having taken an early lead, the penalty count proved costly for Clogher and Black is hoping for a much more disciplined performance when they take on Bangor II in the Towns’ Cup quarter-final this Saturday.

“We started really well on Saturday but our discipline is not good enough to win a game of rugby. The penalty count is killing us and it is something we need to address.” he commented.

“We have a big cup quarter-final against Bangor 2nd XV this week and we’ll be looking for a more disciplined display. At the quarter-final stage of any competition you have to up your game, that’s what we’ll be looking to do and hopefully we will be able to progress,” he said.

Ill-discipline cost Ballyclare early on in Saturday’s game.

Clogher penalty, lineout, maul, Sharkey touchdown and it all started so well for Clogher.

The visitors settled as the game progressed and put a great deal of pressure on the Valley rear-guard. Moore turned over possession twice in quick succession to avert possible chances but a penalty plague of biblical proportions was to descend on the Cran.

Frustrated and bewildered Clogher were soon behind to two Smith penalties. Worse was to follow McKenna was yellow carded prior to the interval and minutes into the second period Sharkey was join him on the touchline.

Playing with 13 against a quality side like Ballyclare is a big ask.

Smith soon converted his third penalty and despite some valiant defence Ballyclare struck from deep to score a good try where Clogher simply ran out of defenders.

The Valley when restored to full compliment had their best period but failed to capitalise on the good work. Clogher tend to play in a five metre channel which has been very successful in the past but now all clubs are aware of this and defend accordingly.

When it seemed Clogher would score again Ballyclare forced a turnover and made a 60 metre breakout which virtually ended any chance the Valley had of points on the day.

Several phases later the visitors crossed for their second try which went unconverted.

Ballyclare grabbed their third try late on which was converted leaving Clogher pointless yet again.

However, the other two sides embroiled in the ninth place battle didn’t make any progress either and it is still all to play for.