Two women from the Republic of Ireland who went on a “theft spree” in Enniskillen, stealing more than £700 worth of goods from four stores, have escaped a jail term after receiving a one year suspended prison sentence.

Gita Jaunozolina, of Derries Lore, Killeshandra, Co Cavan and Inita Pole from Cluain, Alainn, Co Leitrim appeared at Fermanagh Magistrates Court this week where it was revealed that the pair had stolen over £700 worth of goods from Asda, Tesco, Marks & Spencer and Dunnes Stores on Saturday, June 15 2019.

They both pleaded guilty to the offences.

The Court heard that police were alerted to the possible shop lifting at Asda and upon arrival at the scene confronted the two women who admitted that they had not paid for the items in their bag.

Subsequent searches of the women’s vehicle revealed bags of goods from three different stores in Enniskillen; Dunnes Stores, Tesco and Marks & Spencer.

In total £420 worth of items were stolen from Asda, £111 from Tesco, £165 from Marks & Spencer and £36 from Dunnes Stores.

A defence solicitor told the court that the women resided in the Republic of Ireland and that this was their first offence in either jurisdiction.

Speaking on behalf of Janozolina the solicitor told the court that she was a 40-year-old mother of two children, aged eight and nine, and worked as a accountant technician. He said his client was very mindful of how the conviction would affect her future employment. The solicitor went on to say: “She is unable to offer any relevant explanation as to her actions, but she is deeply sorry and is very keen to make restoration.”

He also added that Janozolina was a active member of her local church and a charity worker.

The solicitor told the court that Pole was also “deeply remorseful and regretful” for her actions. He also explained that she was a 43-year-old woman who also had no previous convictions in either jurisdiction.

The prosecution had previously revealed to the court that the items stolen were not fit for resale.

In passing judgement District Judge Michael Ranaghan told the defendants that ”for some bizarre reason you went on a theft spree”.

Mr. Ranaghan said that the custody threshold had been passed at which point one of the defendants broke down in the dock.

He sentenced the women to three months in prison which he suspended for two years and ordered that they pay £366 each in restoration to the four shops.

Mr. Ranaghan said that in suspending the sentence he was taking into account the fact that it was their first offence, their family circumstances and also their early plea of guilty.