A man who drove dangerously while disqualified has been given a four-month suspended sentence.

Nathan McDonagh (24), of Kesh Road, Irvinestown, was sentenced at Enniskillen Magistrate's Court on Monday, February 4.

McDonagh had previously pleaded guilty to charges of driving while disqualified, dangerous driving, driving without insurance, and using a trailer that wasn't fitted with lights or a registration plate.

A prosecutor told the court how on June 3, 2022, police on mobile patrol at the Letterboy Road, Kesh, detected McDonagh, whom they knew was disqualified, driving a BMW 5 Series.

The following day, police at the Carn Road near Ederney detected McDonagh driving the same vehicle, this time towing a trailer with the water tank.

The trailer did not have a registration place or lights, the court heard.

Police activated blue lights sirens and followed Mcdonagh as he increased his speed to 60mph. He turned onto the Ardvarney Road,  failing to slow down for officers. 

They followed McDonagh onto the Pettigo Road and observed how an oncoming vehicle had to "swerve" to avoid him.

Police deactivated lights due to safety concerns for other road users, and later called at McDonagh’s home address.

McDonagh’s partner said he wasn't at home, but police saw the trailer parked in the rear garden. He later attended a police interview, but made no response to the questions asked.

McDonagh's solicitor said that at the time of the incident, he was serving a 20-month driving disqualification.

Describing the case as "serious", the solicitor said McDonagh had a previous entry on his record for driving while disqualified.

He added that McDonagh had a "difficult background" with educational and mental health difficulties, but was attending a GP to address these issues.

"He shouldn't have been on the road," the solicitor concluded.

District Judge Alana McSorely said that the McDonagh's offending was "aggravated" because he had committed them while he was disqualified.

"There is a high likelihood of him reoffending," she said.

Judge McSorely imposed a four-month prison sentence, suspended for one year.