A very successful bowling tournament was run by Garvary IBC with entries having to be turned away over three of the four playing nights during the first week of March. Entries came from Counties Antrim, Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan and Fermanagh.

On the final night eight pairs returned to play for the prizes on offer and an entry into the Champion of Champions Tournament to be played later on in the year at Shaw’s Bridge, Belfast.

In the quarter-finals D. Gilliland/D. Graham, Wellington, beat D. Hohnston/M. Granleese, Colebrooke, 9-8; N. Noble/A. Graham, Wellington, beat C. McHugh/S. McGlinchey, Kildress, 8-6; J. Rutledge/M. Rutledge, Sixmilecross, lost out to D. Ferguson/D. Dickson, Devenish, 5-6 and the remaining pairs were S. Browne/J. Teague, Drumragh, playing R. Donnelly/B. Donnelly, Coa; after eight ends played the game was all level at five shots each and an extra end had to be played to decide the winner of this very close encounter.

J. Teague secured the shot to claim the last semi-final spot.

In the first of the semi-finals Derek Gilliland and Davy Graham got off to a good start in the first end against Davy Ferguson and David Dickson, picking up two shots, but over the next four ends the Devenish pair secured nine shots and in the sixth end the Wellington pair could only get two shots and finally in the seventh end Ferguson/Dickson secured another two shots to run out winners 11-4.

In the other semi-final Norman Noble and Alan Graham met Stanley Brown and Jim Teague. In the first end Alan picked up a single shot and over the course of the next five ends they lost three single shots plus a two and a four to lose the game against Jim 1-9.

The final was to be played over nine ends with the two Ds from Devenish securing a two in the first end and then three single shots over the next three ends and then another two shots in the fifth end before Jim and Stanley managed to claim two shots in the sixth end, then in the seventh end David gained another single shot and by the eighth end the game was over leaving Davy and David the winners of the Garvary Pairs.

At the end of play Canon Stewart was asked to come forward to say a few words. He thanked everyone for their help and support in running this tournament and thanked Blayney Cartwright for officiating during the finals. Canon Stewart then presented the winners with their prizes.