Fermanagh 3-07 Wexford 2-05

Fermanagh opened up their Division Three campaign with a win at Brewster Park today over Wexford although they made hard work of it on a heavy pitch.

Both sides were to finish the game with 13 players following a fractitous second half with Fermanagh having gone in at the interval with a seven point advantage thanks to two Seamie Quigley goals.

And a Conall Jones goal 11 minutes into the second half had them nine clear at that stage, 3-06 to 1-03.

However, the dismissal of Ryan Jones gave Wexford hope and when Tiernan Rossiter tucked away a second Wexford goal it set up a tense finish.

The visitors though lost Rossiter to a second yellow and then had Brian Malone red carded following an clash close to the dug out and although Sean Quigley was black carded with Fermanagh having used all their substitutes, the home side were able to see out the game to pick up the win.

Ryan Jones rattled over the opening score of the game in the second minute after good work by Danny Teague but the opening quarter was a laboured affair with both sides guilty of handling errors and mistakes.

Wexford got up and running through a Donal Shanley free and when the same player added another from a free in the 15th minute it edged the visitors ahead.

Fermanagh missed a couple of opportunities to add to their tally before Kane Connor finally got their second point following a patient build up.

The home side though began to get a grip on matters over the remainder of the half and Seamie Quigley nudged them in front from a free before the Roslea man then swooped for his first goal.

A Declan McCusker effort came back off the upright but when a Wexford defender failed to gather Quigley was able to slot the ball into the empty net to put Fermanagh four ahead.

Ryan Jones tagged on his second point of the game following a flowing move by the Ernemen and Fermanagh were to go in at the break with a strong advantage as Conall Jones’ attempt at a point was dropping wide but Eoin Donnelly did well to break it into the path of Quigley from the endline and Quigley tucked away his second goal. Daithi Waters did bang over a good long range point for Wexford but at the interval Fermanagh led 2-04 to 0-03.

Fermanagh started the second half on the front foot but Conall Jones fizzed an effort wide while Pat Cadden kicked two frees wide.

Ryan Jones did add to the Fermanagh advantage to make it 2-05 to 0-03 but Wexford answered with their first goal as Daithi Waters rose to field a high ball before turning and slotting past Cadden.

Paul McCusker hit back with a point for Fermanagh and when Conall Jones rifled home soccer style it looked as if they were going to ease to victory as they moved into a 3-06 to 1-03 advantage.

However, Ryan Jones was then red carded after an off the ball incident and Wexford clawed their way back as Waters punched over a point and Rossiter bagged a goal after Fermanagh had coughed up possession on their way out of defence.

The numbers though were evened up when Rossiter was yellow carded for a second time and Aidan Breen then strode forward to fire over to put Fermanagh into a 3-07 to 2-05 lead.

Tempers flared as the game drew to a close and Malone picked up a straight red while Sean Quigley was then black carded but in the end Fermanagh ran out five point winners.