Irvinestown 1-15 Teemore 2-13

Teemore put some daylight between themselves and Irvinestown at the bottom of Division One with a hard fought one point victory last Sunday.

The 2-13 to 1-15 win sees them open up a three point gap between the sides as Teemore bounced back from their defeat to Ederney, while Irvinestown have now lost three games on the bounce.

Getting back to winning ways pleased Teemore manager, Anthony Drumm after a number of defeats.

“After two defeats in the last couple of weeks it was badly needed.

“The boys showed good fighting qualities and it was definitely good to get the win and I suppose it could have been easier. It was a nervy finish.”

Irvinestown trainer Paddy Doherty knows his side are putting in the work but just need to start getting the results.

“The boys are working hard but it just eeking out those results but we would be more buoyed by Sunday’s performance than the last two games.

“ We just need to start getting points to get out of the relegation zone.”

Liam Martin got the opening score of the game for Teemore from a free before Irvinestown were to hit four in a row through Ronan Ormsby (2), James Duffy and Liam McQuaid.

The home side were in a strong position as another point from the boot of Martin was cancelled out by another three scores with Josh Largo Elis coming up from the back to get amongst the scorers as his side led 0-07 to 0-02 with little over 10 minutes played.

The home side were well on top but it was now to be Teemore’s turn to take a hold of proceedings as they cut the deficit to two points.

Eoin McManus, who ended the day with six points, along with Martin were on target for the Shamrocks, before Kevin Duffy hit a score for Irvinestown to put three between the teams.

McManus was prominent again as the half wore on. He would take his tally to four points for the day with the next three points of the game while Gary Maguire got the home side’s last point of the half.

Ryan Maguire would make sure it was all square at the break with a point for Teemore with the scoreline reading 0-09 apiece at the half.

Points were traded at the start of the second half between the sides with Largo-Elis and Maguire hitting a point each.

The McManus cousins, Cian and Eoin would do the same for Teemore.

The first goal of the game would go to Teemore with Maguire finding the back of the net to put his side in front for the first time since the early stages of the game.

The home side reduced the difference to just a point with frees from Maguire and Duffy before Teemore got their second goal of the game.

Colm McNally got on the end of a shot which dropped short and drilling home.

There were four points between the sides and Eoin McManus made this five with five minute to play.

Maguire added a further score for the home side which was answered by a final McManus point and a great strike from Conor McGann.

It looked like a comfortable victory was on the cards but with full time nearly up Maguire scored from the penalty spot to leave two between the sides after full back Tiarnan Daly was fouled..

Irvinestown did have a number of efforts in injury time to try and grab a draw and Ormsby did add a point but it was not enough as Teemore held on.

Both teams are away on Friday night and face difficult opposition.

Irvinestown travel to Belleek to face Erne Gaels, while Teemore head to Derrygonnelly.