Belnaleck 2-7 Ederney 0-12

Darragh McGurn hit 2-5 as Belnaleck caused something of a shock as they claimed the scalp of last year's beaten finalists, Ederney, in the Quinn Building Products SFC Quarter Final at Brewster Park.

The Art McMurroughs have won Junior and Intermediate titles in the last two years and they have made an immediate mark at senior level with a fine win over an Ederney side who had finished top of the table in Division One this season.

It was Division Two side Belnaleck who landed the opening point through Bryan Owens but Ederney went on to enjoy the better of things over the next 20 minutes as points from the impressive Mark McCauley, Paul McCusker and a long range Chris Snow free kick helped them into a 0-04 to 0-01 lead.

McGurn though was a growing influence on proceedings and he knocked over two frees before rattling over an excellent point from play to level things at 0-4 apiece.

However, Ederney went in at the break with their noses in front as Oran Magee slotted over to leave it 0-5 to 0-4 at the break.

Colm Bradley's Belnaleck side though could not have asked for a better start to the second half as McGurn got on the end of a high ball from Peter Monaghan to palm to the net.

Paul McCusker did reply with a point for Ederney but they were then hit with a second Belnaleck goal.

Another high ball on top of McGurn caused problems and the forward bundled the ball over the line as Belnaleck moved into a 2-4 to 0-6 lead by the 34th minute.

Ederney though took a control of the game over the next period as they hit an unanswered six points to turn a four point deficit into a two point lead.

Sean Cassidy, Snow and McCauley all registered points for the St Joseph's outfit as they went into a 0-12 to 2-4 lead.

Indeed, that lead could have been greater as McCauley got through on goal but he blazed wide.

Belnaleck though continued to hang in and McGurn clipped over a free to put one in it before the same player banged over a monster point from play to level up the game, 0-12 to 2-5.

And Belnaleck were to go on and secure the win as Sean Lewsley clipped over from an acute angle to put them into the semi final draw.