Irvinestown Wanderers 2

Beragh Swifts 2

Goals from Dwayne Carleton and Gary Maguire helped Irvinestown Wanderers overturn a half time deficit, but an 80th minute Beragh equaliser from Stephen Browne meant the teams shared the points on the opening day of the new season.

Clements had opened the scoring for the visitors before Carleton and Maguire gave Wanderers a second half advantage, but goal scorer Carleton was dismissed and Swifts took advantage to net a penalty and level the match.

“I think 2-2 was a fair reflection of the game,” said Wanderers’ manager Ryan Beacom.

“Neither side created much in the first half, although their goal was a good finish, and we had one or two half opportunities but nothing to write home about.

“It was the first game of the season and both teams were kind of finding their feet and getting up to pace because it has been six or seven months since most teams played competitive football.

“I had a fair few young players and a few new signings stepping in as well and although we were missing players, it’s nice to know we were competitive.

“The game could have gone either way. We could have scored more, and they could probably have nicked one more in the first half.

“The players played well and it was something to build on in the weeks ahead, when we will have players coming back from injury and becoming available again.”

Beragh had the better of the chances in the first half at the Bawnacre and were deserving of their half time lead, so player manager Beacom took himself out of the action at half time with Caolan Ward playing the second half in central midfield.

The change helped Wanderers start to dominate midfield, and they were back on level terms ten minutes into the second half when Gary Maguire’s corner fell to Dwayne Carleton, who fired it into the roof of the net.

Irvinestown pressed forward in search of a second and ten minutes later they were rewarded when they won a penalty.

Swifts’ goalkeeper seemed to have eliminated the danger when he held on to a corner kick, but with the ball in his hands he bundled over Sean Keenan as he advanced towards the edge of his area, with the referee pointing to the spot.

Maguire dispatched the penalty to give Wanderers the lead for the first time, but with ten minutes remaining the scores were level again.

A ball over the top of the Irvinestown defence had them back peddling, and Carleton’s mistimed sliding challenge gave away a penalty.

Having been booked earlier in a scuffle following his first goal, he was sent off, with Stephen Browne scoring from the spot to earn his side a draw.