Enniskillen Rangers 2 Irvinestown Wanderers 2

Irvinestown Wanderers came from two goals down to secure a share of the spoils against Enniskillen Rangers at the Ball Range on Saturday.

The ‘Gers had appeared to be in control as a Mark Cutler brace put them in charge but a stunning effort by teenager Barry Goodwin before the break gave Wanderers hope.

And Goodwin went on to bag the equaliser midway through the second half as the sides had to be content with a point apiece.

Rangers manager Michael Kerr was disappointed that his side were not able to see the game out when two goals to the good.

“I thought we played really well in the first half and created plenty of chances but the second half was nowhere near good enough.

“We had enough senior players on the pitch to see the game out but we didn’t play with the same energy or anything else in the second half. The players have to take responsibility for that,” said Kerr, who was also disappointed in some of the decisions of referee Jerome McElroy.

“Gary Maguire set up their equaliser but he should have been off before that. He was already booked and then he did a blatant trip but there was no second yellow and then he goes on to set up their second.

“I’m in no way blaming that on the result, that was down to the players, but it is frustrating,” he added.

Wanderers manager Darren Higginbotham was delighted with the response he got from his players after they went 2-0 down.

“We really had to weather the storm for the first 35 minutes of the game and the first half was not up to the standard we want but we got the goal at the perfect time just before the break and then we were able to regroup.

“I have to give the players great credit for their response in the second half.

“The Ball Range is not an easy place to come at any time so it is an important point for us,” he added.

It took Rangers a period at the start of the game to adjust to Irvinestown’s system but once they did the home side were very much on top.

Ciaran Brough had a shot cleared off the line while Connor Rippey had a half volley inside the box that he blasted over the bar.

The Wanderers did have some good moments of their own as Maguire crossed to the back post but Suwayne Carleton couldn’t finish while Goodwin had a chance but dwelt too long on the ball and the opportunity was lost.

Rangers though continued to threaten and they went on to open the scoring as Cutler bagged his first of the game.

The home side broke from an Irvinestown corner with Jason Keenan slipping Cutler through and he raced through before tucking the ball past Jerome Carleton in the visitors goal.

And Rangers went on to double their lead soon after as Jordan McClure ushered Cutler in at an angle and he arrowed a drive across Carleton to the net.

Indeed, Cutler went close to a hat-trick when he got on the end of a McClure cross but his header back across goal was expertly saved by Carleton.

Just before the interval though Irvinestown got back into the game.

A Rangers attack was hooked clear and Goodwin took a touch to take the ball down and from 45 yards he superbly pinged the ball over Joel Peden in the ‘Gers goal to leave it 2-1 at half time.

Carleton made a good save from Rippey shortly after half time but then came the Wanderers equaliser.

The away side set off on a counter-attack from a Rangers corner and Goodwin was put through on goal with the teenager making no mistake in slotting home.

Jason Keenan did have a chanc e to edge Rangers back ahead but he volleyed wide from close range and in the end the sides had to settle for a draw as it finished 2-2.