Enniskillen Town 2 Irvinestown Wanderers 2

Enniskillen Town conceded an injury-time equaliser as their winless streak extended to four games.

A goal from Cathal Beacom had wiped out Irvinestown’s early penalty from Gary Maguire, and it looked as though Town had secured the points when Duwayne McManus scored in the 84th minute, but Danny Hughes popped up three minutes into added time to earn Wanderers a vital point in their relegation fight.

Enniskillen Town manager Rory Judge felt it was their recurring failings in front of goal that again cost them the victory.

“It was the same old problem, creating enough chances to win three games and then not converting,” he said.

“I think we could have scored a dozen goals on Saturday, but Jerome Carleton in goals was unbelievable. He had a personal battle with Cathal Beacom, who could have had a hat-trick inside 20 minutes.

"The highlight reel of the match would just be Jerome Carleton making save after save after save.

"They offered nothing in the second half and when we got ourselves 2-1 up I thought we would go on and get another two or three once we had broken through, but they scored out of nothing and could have scored another two.

"In the end, we could have been beaten 4-2. It went from not giving them a chance in the second half to giving them three brilliant chances in the last few minutes.”

A week previous, Darren Higginbotham was frustrated with his team’s performance as they lost to Killen Rangers, but he had no complaints against Town.

“I can’t fault the lads for their efforts on the day,” he said. “I felt their passion, the enthusiasm, and the desire was definitely there. As a collective, we defended extremely well and we were dangerous in attack all day.

"I thought that Stephen Sheridan and his wide attackers led the line extremely well and we gave Town as good as we got. To leave an Enniskillen Town away game maybe disappointed you didn’t get three points is a reflection of how they performed on the day, and it gives us a lot of heart coming into the run in.

"We just need to keep that effort, enthusiasm and performance level up and take it into the final games of the season, because if we do that we are going to give ourselves a great chance of getting points and trying to get out of this.”

Town started the better side and Jerome Carleton in the Wanderers goal was called into action numerous times in the opening quarter of the contest, but it was Wanderers that took the lead from the penalty spot, Gary Maguire converting after Ethan Beresford had handled inside the area.

Town equalised from the spot after 38 minutes, but it was a controversial moment in the game.

Cathal Beacom saw his initial penalty saved by Carleton, but the referee ordered a retake due to encroachment by an Enniskillen Town player, and Beacom scored from his second attempt.

The decision infuriated Higginbotham, despite the referee admitting his mistake to the Wanderers boss at half-time.

“I appreciate his apology and I know errors happen, but it is difficult to accept given the situation we are in and the importance of points at the minute,” said Higginbotham.

Town looked to have snatched all three points when substitute Alfie McCaffrey set up Duwayne McManus to score in the 84th minute, but there was still time for late drama.

Wanderers’ striker Craig Humes ran through with a chance to level the match, but with just the keeper to beat he lifted his shot over the bar.

He made amends moments later when his pass allowed Daniel Hughes to slot an equaliser past Doherty, and there was still time for Humes to again run clear, but he failed to find the net as the game ended all square.