Erne Gaels 1-10 Kinawley 0-05

Erne Gaels came out victorious in the second-place play-off game in Division One with a 1-10 to 0-05 win over Kinawley in Belleek on Friday evening.

A goal towards the end of the half saw Declan Bonner’s side continue their impressive start to the season with four wins from five games.

Erne Gaels assistant manager Paul Brennan said after the game: “It was a real typical Club Players’ (Competition) performance, to be honest.

"It was up and down, we’re trying to do a lot of stuff in training around our set-up in set pieces, offensively how we’re set, defensively how we’re set and working on that.

"Listen, for me in patches it was really good, and in other patches, it leaves us with loads of stuff to work on which is exactly where we want to be at.

"We certainly don’t want to be no finished article at this time of the year, but I was happy. At the end of the day, we’re getting wins out of these games with a lot of learnings and a lot to work on during training.

"We’re happy with the point that we’re at now.”

Ultan O'Reilly kicked Erne Gaels’ first score of the game and it didn’t take long for Dan McCann to add a second point in the opening stages of the contest.

Aogan Kelm kicked an impressive score from out on the left wing as Belleek stated their intentions early.

Kinawley kicked three scores in the first half with Shaun Doherty helping himself to two points while Caolan Brennan also split the posts.

McCann tagged on his second point of the half before Oisin Kelm’s shot for a point dropped in on top of the goal line and Barry McCann went up to compete with the visitor’s goalkeeper as the ball found the net.

Odhrán Johnston kicked the fifth point for Erne Gaels as they took a 1-05 to 0-03 lead in at half-time.

Kinawley made a bright start to the second half but were unable to elongate their purple patch with Michael Óg McGarrigle running through the centre of the park to point.

Kinawley added two scores through Dylan Boyle and Dara Cathcart but Belleek would add three more in a low-scoring 30 minutes as Johnston cut inside on his left foot for another point.

Dan McCann, Paudi Johnston and a late Kelm free rounded off the scoring for the home side.