Clogher’s Keith Farmer survived a late season setback to claim the British Supersport Championship with a fifth place finish at Brands Hatch on Sunday. 
After dominating the season and recording nine wins during the year the final points of the campaign proved the hardest to secure, but after crashing out of contention in the penultimate race he deservedly clinched the title in the final race.
“I was starting to think that it was not meant to be and I was wondering what I have to do to get it sorted,” admitted Keith. 
“We had to finish in the top nine and it was absolutely mega to get the job done in the end. I lost my mum a year and a half ago, and she was the one who kept me motivated for training so when I crossed the line I had a little tear in my eye.”
At the start of the weekend Farmer looked a certainty to get the points he required for the championship. He had two races to pick up the required points, but he drew a blank in the first race when he crashed out in the early stages. 
That left him needing to finish the final race of the season, but he admits he was aware of the pressure building. 
“It is easy to say all I had to do was finish in the top nine after winning nine races during the year, but it is easier said than done,” he said. 
“When you start thinking about things everything becomes hard work, and when you put pressure on yourself you start making mistakes. 
“Thankfully I had the family with me all weekend beside me and it was nice for them to keep things off my mind. I spent a lot of time with my missus Sam and my daughter Chloe and that kept my mind at peace. 
“Because I was eighth on the grid, I knew that if I got a reasonable start and stayed in around that position and stayed out of trouble at the back of the leading bunch we would be alright. I was trying to keep my attention and concentration on my racing and not on the championship. 
“I just wanted to keep my concentration on every braking marker and every apex because I didn’t want my attention going to thinking about the championship because that is when mistakes happen. I just kept my distance and going on to the last lap I looked behind me and made sure I had a comfortable gap and we cruised the last lap to bring it home fifth and bring the championship home.”
The title was looking an impossible task at the start of the season. Days before the first race Keith had not secured a deal to ride a bike in the series and it looked as though he was destined for a season on the side lines, but an injury to Luke Jones opened the door for him. 
“I was gutted not having anything at the start of the season,” he acknowledged. “Unfortunately for Luke Jones he got injured and they called me in at the last minute. I got one day to ride the bike in the wet at Donnington Park before the first round and we went out and finished sixth. It was initially only for three rounds and I was doing quite well and Luke’s operation hadn’t gone to plan, so it left me in place for the rest of the season. It was a big relief because after starting well to lose that after just three rounds would have been gutting. It was tough start to the season but thankfully it has paid off.”
Keith is now hoping that the British Supersport victory will pave the way to a competitive ride on a Superbike next season, but admits he is still uncertain what 2018 will hold. 
“We are trying for Superbike and I have spoken to a few teams. If I can get a good Superbike then I will go there, but if I don’t get a good package and team around me I would rather go in and try to win Superstock again. It’s just playing that silly waiting game at the minute.”