Broderick not a great choice

Published: 9 Feb 2012 13:30

Relative of victims says he forgives US star, but would like a meeting for closure

The son and brother of the two women killed when actor Matthew Broderick crashed into their car says the film star "wasn't the greatest choice" to drive in a multi-million dollar Honda commercial screened at the Super Bowl at the weekend.

Martin Doherty looking at a clip of The Matthew Broderick advert that appeared during Sunday's Super Bowl.

Mr. Martin Doherty, from Garvary, yesterday (Wednesday) responded to the negative publicity surrounding the actor's role in the commercial for the Honda CR-V. One American columnist described it as "sick". The actor was driving his rented car in Fermanagh in October 1987 when it veered onto the other side of the Enniskillen to Tempo road and crashed into another car killing Mr. Doherty's mother, Mrs. Margaret Doherty and his sister, Mrs. Anna Gallagher.

Mr. Doherty believes that another actor should have been chosen. He said: "I suppose it wasn't the greatest choice of drivers knowing his past. I suppose at the end of the day it was years ago. I have forgiven what he had done. I mentioned that at the time. I have always said that an accident happened. It is certainly not something that you want to happen to anyone. It wasn't premeditated. We all know many people in the north of Ireland who have died over the years and somebody sat down and planned it. As I said, it certainly was not a great choice of driver. I am sure there are plenty of stars over there they could have got to have done the advertisement".

Mr. Doherty has never met the actor, who with his wife Sarah Jessica Parker, own a holiday home in Donegal. "At the end of the day. I do not know what has gone on in his head or what he is thinking. I have never ever had any contact over the years.

A meeting may "close the book" on the issue, he believes. "There has always been something at the back of my mind that it would close the book totally if I did meet him. I do not dwell on that too much. I am the same as everyone else who has lost family. I have my own personal thoughts on it. There are many, many people in the same boat as myself. The one thing about it is because who it was that killed my mother and sister, there is always this on-going publicity.

"Every two years this last 25 years I have had some reporter or somebody ringing to ask questions about it. What annoys me about it is I know people that have lost sons, daughters, mothers and fathers over the years in road accidents and nobody ever asks them how they feel or how do they cope with it. I am sure they have the same feelings as myself on it. If it had been somebody I knew that caused the accident, at least at this stage I would have been able to have met them quietly without any fuss being made about it and made our amends. Other than that, whatever he wants. It is his life and he can lead it whatever way he wants. Like everything else, it is surprising what people will do for money," he said.

"I definitely think they could have had somebody else to do the advert. Maybe he hasn't had a good, hard think about it himself," he added.

"As time goes on, people forget about some of these tragedies, bar immediate family. Unless it gets that bit of publicity only the immediate family remember about it for the rest of their lives".

Asked about the negative comment made about the commercial in the States, he said: "I suppose it is a natural thing for people to remember the bad. We never seem to remember the good things people have done over the years as well."

23 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.