Broderick not a great choice

Published: 9 Feb 2012 13:30

Relative of victims says he forgives US star, but would like a meeting for closure

The son and brother of the two women killed when actor Matthew Broderick crashed into their car says the film star "wasn't the greatest choice" to drive in a multi-million dollar Honda commercial screened at the Super Bowl at the weekend.

Martin Doherty looking at a clip of The Matthew Broderick advert that appeared during Sunday's Super Bowl.

Mr. Martin Doherty, from Garvary, yesterday (Wednesday) responded to the negative publicity surrounding the actor's role in the commercial for the Honda CR-V. One American columnist described it as "sick". The actor was driving his rented car in Fermanagh in October 1987 when it veered onto the other side of the Enniskillen to Tempo road and crashed into another car killing Mr. Doherty's mother, Mrs. Margaret Doherty and his sister, Mrs. Anna Gallagher.

Mr. Doherty believes that another actor should have been chosen. He said: "I suppose it wasn't the greatest choice of drivers knowing his past. I suppose at the end of the day it was years ago. I have forgiven what he had done. I mentioned that at the time. I have always said that an accident happened. It is certainly not something that you want to happen to anyone. It wasn't premeditated. We all know many people in the north of Ireland who have died over the years and somebody sat down and planned it. As I said, it certainly was not a great choice of driver. I am sure there are plenty of stars over there they could have got to have done the advertisement".

Mr. Doherty has never met the actor, who with his wife Sarah Jessica Parker, own a holiday home in Donegal. "At the end of the day. I do not know what has gone on in his head or what he is thinking. I have never ever had any contact over the years.

A meeting may "close the book" on the issue, he believes. "There has always been something at the back of my mind that it would close the book totally if I did meet him. I do not dwell on that too much. I am the same as everyone else who has lost family. I have my own personal thoughts on it. There are many, many people in the same boat as myself. The one thing about it is because who it was that killed my mother and sister, there is always this on-going publicity.

"Every two years this last 25 years I have had some reporter or somebody ringing to ask questions about it. What annoys me about it is I know people that have lost sons, daughters, mothers and fathers over the years in road accidents and nobody ever asks them how they feel or how do they cope with it. I am sure they have the same feelings as myself on it. If it had been somebody I knew that caused the accident, at least at this stage I would have been able to have met them quietly without any fuss being made about it and made our amends. Other than that, whatever he wants. It is his life and he can lead it whatever way he wants. Like everything else, it is surprising what people will do for money," he said.

"I definitely think they could have had somebody else to do the advert. Maybe he hasn't had a good, hard think about it himself," he added.

"As time goes on, people forget about some of these tragedies, bar immediate family. Unless it gets that bit of publicity only the immediate family remember about it for the rest of their lives".

Asked about the negative comment made about the commercial in the States, he said: "I suppose it is a natural thing for people to remember the bad. We never seem to remember the good things people have done over the years as well."

19 Apr 2014 17:10

Mallards gain another crucial point in safety battle

Ballinamallard took another step closer to safety as they claimed a share of the spoils at home to Ballymena today.

19 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Leading anti-fracker believes local protesters are on the right track

Founder of Frack Free Sussex and Britain and Ireland Frack Free, Vanessa Vine visited Enniskillen last Saturday to discuss the local anti-fracking campaign.

19 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Road rage car chase for boxing champ who turned away from possible fight

A boxing champion shied away from a fight with a man over twice his age only to become embroiled in a road rage incident.

19 Apr 2014 11:00 • Editorial Department

Milk suppliers assured that Society is debt free

The forty-eight former Fivemiletown milk suppliers have been assured that Fivemiletown and Brookeborough Co-operative and Agricultural Dairy Society (the Society) is debt free and that they will “continue to be paid”.

19 Apr 2014 09:00 • Rodney Edwards

Elliott votes against bill on powers for new Super Councils

ULSTER Unionist MLA Tom Elliott has joined his party colleagues in voting against the Local Government Bill, the legislation that sets out the powers of the new Super Councils. Mr. Elliott spoke of his concern around community planning ahead of the amalgamation which will see 26 Councils merge into 11, including the amalgamation of Fermanagh District Council and Omagh District Council

19 Apr 2014 08:30

Police name motorcyclist killed in Fivemiletown crash

Police can confirm that a male motorcyclist has died following a two vehicle road traffic collision on the Belfast Road in Fivemiletown last night, Friday 18 April.

18 Apr 2014 22:00 • Rodney Edwards

Orange audit: 93 per cent believe Catholics ‘suspicious’ of order

A MAJOR survey into the Orange Order in Fermanagh has found that 92.8 per cent of people who took part in the project believe Catholics are “suspicious” of the organisation.

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.