The day Bee Gee Robin signed an autograph at gunpoint!

Published: 14 Jun 2012 13:000 comments

KILSKEERY woman, Dwina Gibb says she intends to personally respond to the thousands of sympathy cards her family have received after her Bee Gee star husband passed away from kidney failure last month.

Mourners gathered in Oxfordshire on Friday to pay their last respects to Robin Gibb, the man who shot to fame with brothers Barry and Maurice, in the sixties and seventies.

Taking comfort from the support shown to her family from fans across the world, Dwina says she has placed each sympathy card on two tapestries in the home she shared with her husband before he fell ill.

"I'm just so grateful for all the sympathy cards and the support," she told The Impartial Reporter, "I have read every single card. Each one of them has given me some kind of peace."

Still in shock at losing Robin, Dwina said she was looking forward to spending some time at home in Ireland soon.

"Some of my fondest memories with Robin are when we were travelling the length and breadth of Ireland. He loved Donegal. We spent lots of time in Enniskillen too.

"He was actually stopped once on the road at a checkpoint during the time of the Troubles.

"This young soldier holding his gun was so excited when he realised it was Robin Gibb. He asked for his autograph. Robin laughed afterwards and said, 'That's the first time I have had to sign and autograph at gun point!'

"When we were at my mothers later, they must have followed us or found out where we were going, because Robin pulled back the curtains in the front room, and there they all were -- all the soldiers, waving!"

Some of the most precious items Dwina now owns are the sketches Robin made during his illness.

"I encouraged him to paint and draw when he was ill," she explained, "He was very good at it. And I'm so glad that I have those drawings now to hold on to."

In fact it was Dwina's own talents as an artist that first brought the couple together.

"We met through my cousin who was working in security for Robin," Dwina recalled, "My cousin was going to the airport to pick him up and Robin saw some of my drawings in the car. At the time he was looking for a new place to live and wanted to decorate the house with some of my drawings."

Robin trusted Dwina's eye for detail so much that he enlisted her help in picking out a new home for himself.

"Little did I know that I would be living there myself!" she joked.

Describing her husband as a "kind man with a beautiful nature and the voice of an angel", Dwina said she took great pride in his achievements.

"His voice reached evert corner of the earth -- It's an incredible legacy to leave the world.

"Some of my best memories are of hearing him in the music room creating something. I felt like I had my own special concert all the time. It was really precious and so personal.

"We were all there at the end, me, RJ, and his children from his first marriage, Melissa and Spencer. He slipped away very quietly and very peacefully. The whole room was full of peace," she added.

Comments

18 Apr 2014 22:00 • Rodney Edwards

Orange audit: 93 per cent believe Catholics ‘suspicious’ of order

A MAJOR survey into the Orange Order in Fermanagh has found that 92.8 per cent of people who took part in the project believe Catholics are “suspicious” of the organisation.

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.

17 Apr 2014 14:06

Enniskillen by-pass could start in four years says Minister

WORK on the long-awaited Southern by-pass of Enniskillen could start in four years’ time but only if the millions needed for the scheme can be found, Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has said.

17 Apr 2014 13:11

No referendum on fracking at Council elections

Fermanagh District Council is unlikely to hold a fracking referendum after legal advice has recommended against it.

17 Apr 2014 13:01

Woman who tried to give man love bite guilty of sexual assault

A 47-year-old woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young man after she allegedly “forced” herself on him, grabbing him by the bum and telling him she loved him.

17 Apr 2014 11:45

St. Patrick's Day crash led driver to court

A 42-year-old driver who failed to stop after crashing into a car on a bridge on St. Patrick’s Day was three times the legal alcohol limit.

17 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Clerics attend Queen’s banquet: Praise for their cross-community work

17 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharpe names Premier 18 for Milk Cup

Fermanagh Premier Milk Cup manager Derek Sharpe has named his 18 man squad for this summer's competition.