Gildernew: my battle with depression

Published: 15 Nov 2012 13:000 comments

FERMANAGH and South Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew has spoken for the first time about her battle with depression and how being asked by her party to stand aside both as MLA in the assembly and as chairperson of the health committee has had an impact on her mental health.

Michelle Gildernew.

"You try and put your best face on you. There were times when I had to muster up the strength to go and see a constituent, go to a meeting, because that's what was expected of you. It took all your energy to get dressed and get out the door. In the middle of it all you were dealing with other people's problems as well as your own. There were many days I didn't feel like going out the door."

In a deeply emotional interview with The Impartial Reporter, Ms Gildernew broke down in tears on several occasions as she recalled the moments she felt "like I couldn't cope with the world outside". The politician says she first experienced bouts of depression 20 years ago; first when she broke her ankle and felt detached from the world and secondly when her beloved grandmother passed away.

"I had broken my ankle playing football and losing my independence overnight was really tough. One day you could jump in the car and go wherever you wanted and the next day you are relying on someone else to take you. That's where my commitment to rural transport schemes comes from. My grandmother died around the same time, so just a number of things happened in my life and I couldn't cope," said a tearful Ms Gildernew, who admits she "didn't recognise the signs".

"I didn't know there was something wrong, nor did the people who knew me best. I knew I was tearful, emotional, irritable and very tired. Every day was a struggle, every day. You didn't know if you had the energy to get through the day. If I was living alone it would have been far worse. I had my family who would say: 'You are not lying in bed all day' when I probably would have."

She didn't visit her doctor because she didn't think there was anything wrong with her and it took several months before she realised that she wasn't coping and "things were getting on top of me". It was only when Ms Gildernew spoke to a friend of hers, who had suffered from depression, that she realised that she too was suffering from mental health problems. She then seeked advice from her GP.

But her mental health problems have surfaced again in recent times.

Clearly emotional, she added: "Breaking my leg in January this year was a catalyst and the isolation issue surfaced again. I went to my GP and she understood the trauma that I suffered wasn't just physical. She was concerned. She said to me: 'Get yourself out of the house, go for a walk, don't hide away'. I felt really low.

"I had to be there for the people I represented but you know something: I needed people too. I needed to be needed. Sometimes you just need to say: 'I am going to stay at home and make buns with my children' and that's what I did."

Then earlier this year came two blows to her political career when she was asked to give up the jobs she adored so much -- chairperson of the health committee and her seat at Stormont.

"Giving up the chair of the health committee wasn't my decision and yes, that probably did have an impact (on her mental health). I was also in the DEL (Department of Employment and Learning) committee and hadn't a lot of help. I would have preferred at the time to have got the help and support I needed to keep going, but I would have been putting off the inevitable. In the long-term it was probably best for me and my family."

On leaving Stormont, Ms Gildernew admitted her last day "was like a wake" but said she was hopeful that it would "turn out for the best".

"Our last day was really tough, it was like a wake; people were calling in from other parties, my own staff members. You couldn't take two steps without someone saying; 'We'll be sorry to see you go; it definitely was a bit of an emotional roller-coaster.

"I miss the structure of Stormont. I was there for 14 years and there was a routine, I do miss that. I am always an optimist and I am hoping that this will turn out for the best. If I hadn't fallen in January and broken my leg then suddenly being chair of the health committee one week and then being told; 'You're out of here' would have been harder for me. I think, mentally, it helped prepare me for leaving the assembly in June."

There is no denying that it has been a difficult time in Fermanagh recently with a number of tragic deaths, something that has upset Ms Gildernew.

"I have always had a difficulty leaving my problems at the door. When the children are in bed at night I go back on the computer and go through e-mails and I find it really hard. When the people you represent see you as the only way out you just have to find a way of dealing with them and parking your own problems, it upsets me. The recent suicides here was heartbreaking. The past few months have been very tough on the people of Fermanagh."

The politician believes the community as a whole "must work harder" in breaking up the stigma of mental health problems, particularly depression.

"We must work at teaching all of us, adults included, about building resilience and coping skills and about how to recognise the symptoms in yourself and going for help. We need to get rid of the stigma: one of four people are affected by mental health in their lifetime -- that is 25 per cent of people. If we continue to brush it under the carpet then that could become one in three, or one in two. I am OK, I will be OK, but a lot of people out there are not and they need to speak to someone."

NEED HELP?

Call Lifeline: 0808 808 8000 if you need confidential support services

and advice, or are concerned about someone else.  This is a free helpline service available 24/7.

For more information visit:

www.lifelinehelpline.info

Comments

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.

17 Apr 2014 14:06

Enniskillen by-pass could start in four years says Minister

WORK on the long-awaited Southern by-pass of Enniskillen could start in four years’ time but only if the millions needed for the scheme can be found, Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has said.

17 Apr 2014 13:11

No referendum on fracking at Council elections

Fermanagh District Council is unlikely to hold a fracking referendum after legal advice has recommended against it.

17 Apr 2014 13:01

Woman who tried to give man love bite guilty of sexual assault

A 47-year-old woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young man after she allegedly “forced” herself on him, grabbing him by the bum and telling him she loved him.

17 Apr 2014 11:45

St. Patrick's Day crash led driver to court

A 42-year-old driver who failed to stop after crashing into a car on a bridge on St. Patrick’s Day was three times the legal alcohol limit.

17 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Clerics attend Queen’s banquet: Praise for their cross-community work

17 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharpe names Premier 18 for Milk Cup

Fermanagh Premier Milk Cup manager Derek Sharpe has named his 18 man squad for this summer's competition.

17 Apr 2014 09:15

Men arrested in connection with security alert charged with theft

THE two men arrested in connection with a security alert in Fintona on Tuesday this week have been charged with Theft and Going Equipped for Theft

17 Apr 2014 09:00

Schoolgirl chef makes it to Fine Dine final

A local pupil has been named a finalist in this year's Fine Dine at Mine All-Ireland Schools Cookery Competion.

16 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter read:

How a woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a man after touching him and trying to give him a love bite.