Five new businesses open as Irvinestown fights back

Published: 6 Dec 2012 13:000 comments

EVEN during the economic downturn a number of enterprising people from Irvinestown have defied the recession by opening five new shops in the last five weeks.

Dervilia McGinn-Brennan, DD's Flowers.<<

For at least three of the shop owners the new businesses started off as hobbies but have now become a way for them to make a living in what is a difficult and challenging environment.

Dervilia McGinn-Brennan opened DD's Flowers last week and admits it was "a brave thing to do".

"I think you have to take the chance and do it. If you don't do it now you never will. I was doing it part-time on the side as well as a full-time job but as it was getting busier I thought I might as well give it a go," she said, explaining that it took just five weeks to set the business up.

"I had two very helpful workmen in and they put in a lot of time and effort. I am really pleased with how it is going. I would say if you don't try it you will never know, I definitely have no regrets."

Frustrated at being out of work, Gerard Baranowski opened MobTech last month in a bid to bring in a wage until he finds a more permanent job.

"I decided it was time to start out on my own. I was fixing things for £5 at home and I thought 'no more' and I started my own business because I can fix things that not many people can't," he said.

Mr Baranowski says he couldn't have waited any longer to secure employment with another company and decided he would create his own employment but he says it wasn't an easy process.

"It wasn't straight forward. Everyone says you can get enough support but at the end of the day the only support I am getting is a grant for an employee but that's not even full-time. I am starting from the beginning."

Andrea Gourley set up her nail products and training business 'Pirna Pourie' in Irvinestown last month after previously working from home.

"If I don't try when will the best time be to do it? I have to try and fight my way through it, but also offer things. When we come out of the recession everything will be changed anyway and so will the way people do business."

She described setting up the business as "quite frightening" but added: "If I don't try it how would I know? I am happy with the way it is going and everyone seems over the moon. I just hope it continues, I want to get known all over Ireland."

A mother and baby shop and a car garage have also recently opened in Irvinestown.

Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster has praised the new business owners for "showing initiative".

Now the Fermanagh and South Tyrone MLA is encouraging others to follow in their entrepreneurial footsteps.

"I commend them, I really do. I think it is encouraging that here we have a number of new premises in Irvinestown, a town that has always had a very positive outlook and a very strong ethos of helping others. I would encourage anybody who is thinking of starting out on their own but needs a business plan to get the help that is available through the Go for it programme," she said.

The programme by Invest Northern Ireland provides tailored advice and support programmes. To make an appointment with one of the business advisors call 0800 027 0639 or for more information visit Fermanagh Enterprise Centre at 21 Lackaghboy Road, Enniskillen.

Comments

23 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.