Five new businesses open as Irvinestown fights back

Published: 6 Dec 2012 13:000 comments

EVEN during the economic downturn a number of enterprising people from Irvinestown have defied the recession by opening five new shops in the last five weeks.

Dervilia McGinn-Brennan, DD's Flowers.<<

For at least three of the shop owners the new businesses started off as hobbies but have now become a way for them to make a living in what is a difficult and challenging environment.

Dervilia McGinn-Brennan opened DD's Flowers last week and admits it was "a brave thing to do".

"I think you have to take the chance and do it. If you don't do it now you never will. I was doing it part-time on the side as well as a full-time job but as it was getting busier I thought I might as well give it a go," she said, explaining that it took just five weeks to set the business up.

"I had two very helpful workmen in and they put in a lot of time and effort. I am really pleased with how it is going. I would say if you don't try it you will never know, I definitely have no regrets."

Frustrated at being out of work, Gerard Baranowski opened MobTech last month in a bid to bring in a wage until he finds a more permanent job.

"I decided it was time to start out on my own. I was fixing things for £5 at home and I thought 'no more' and I started my own business because I can fix things that not many people can't," he said.

Mr Baranowski says he couldn't have waited any longer to secure employment with another company and decided he would create his own employment but he says it wasn't an easy process.

"It wasn't straight forward. Everyone says you can get enough support but at the end of the day the only support I am getting is a grant for an employee but that's not even full-time. I am starting from the beginning."

Andrea Gourley set up her nail products and training business 'Pirna Pourie' in Irvinestown last month after previously working from home.

"If I don't try when will the best time be to do it? I have to try and fight my way through it, but also offer things. When we come out of the recession everything will be changed anyway and so will the way people do business."

She described setting up the business as "quite frightening" but added: "If I don't try it how would I know? I am happy with the way it is going and everyone seems over the moon. I just hope it continues, I want to get known all over Ireland."

A mother and baby shop and a car garage have also recently opened in Irvinestown.

Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster has praised the new business owners for "showing initiative".

Now the Fermanagh and South Tyrone MLA is encouraging others to follow in their entrepreneurial footsteps.

"I commend them, I really do. I think it is encouraging that here we have a number of new premises in Irvinestown, a town that has always had a very positive outlook and a very strong ethos of helping others. I would encourage anybody who is thinking of starting out on their own but needs a business plan to get the help that is available through the Go for it programme," she said.

The programme by Invest Northern Ireland provides tailored advice and support programmes. To make an appointment with one of the business advisors call 0800 027 0639 or for more information visit Fermanagh Enterprise Centre at 21 Lackaghboy Road, Enniskillen.

Comments

19 Apr 2014 17:10

Mallards gain another crucial point in safety battle

Ballinamallard took another step closer to safety as they claimed a share of the spoils at home to Ballymena today.

19 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Leading anti-fracker believes local protesters are on the right track

Founder of Frack Free Sussex and Britain and Ireland Frack Free, Vanessa Vine visited Enniskillen last Saturday to discuss the local anti-fracking campaign.

19 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Road rage car chase for boxing champ who turned away from possible fight

A boxing champion shied away from a fight with a man over twice his age only to become embroiled in a road rage incident.

19 Apr 2014 11:00 • Editorial Department

Milk suppliers assured that Society is debt free

The forty-eight former Fivemiletown milk suppliers have been assured that Fivemiletown and Brookeborough Co-operative and Agricultural Dairy Society (the Society) is debt free and that they will “continue to be paid”.

19 Apr 2014 09:00 • Rodney Edwards

Elliott votes against bill on powers for new Super Councils

ULSTER Unionist MLA Tom Elliott has joined his party colleagues in voting against the Local Government Bill, the legislation that sets out the powers of the new Super Councils. Mr. Elliott spoke of his concern around community planning ahead of the amalgamation which will see 26 Councils merge into 11, including the amalgamation of Fermanagh District Council and Omagh District Council

19 Apr 2014 08:30

Police name motorcyclist killed in Fivemiletown crash

Police can confirm that a male motorcyclist has died following a two vehicle road traffic collision on the Belfast Road in Fivemiletown last night, Friday 18 April.

18 Apr 2014 22:00 • Rodney Edwards

Orange audit: 93 per cent believe Catholics ‘suspicious’ of order

A MAJOR survey into the Orange Order in Fermanagh has found that 92.8 per cent of people who took part in the project believe Catholics are “suspicious” of the organisation.

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.