Sean Quinn Exclusive: My children are the victims of my stupidity

Published: 27 Jun 2013 14:061 comment

FORMER businessman Sean Quinn has said he has apologised to his family "on a number of occasions" for his "fundamental mistake" in a saga that resulted in him losing control of his multi-billion euro empire, ending up bankrupt and being sent to prison.

Former billionaire Sean Quinn being interviewed at his home in Ballyconnell.<<

In his first interview of the year, Mr Quinn has spoken exclusively to The Impartial Reporter and has told this newspaper of his pain as a father, how spending time in jail last year for contempt of court has made him more "determined" to clear his name and his belief that Taoiseach Enda Kenny "must know there was a cock-up" in how he was sold those ill-fated shares in Anglo Irish Bank.

At his home in Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan, surrounded by photographs of his family, the father-of-five who was once Ireland's richest man, spoke of his regret that his adult children (Ciara, Colette, Sean jnr, Brenda and Aoife) have been getting the blame for his mistakes.

"I should never have bought the shares in Anglo, I should never have taken money from Quinn Direct to buy or support shares. But the Quinn family; the five kids, are the victims of this, and I have apologised to them on a number of occasions. I should not have done what I done. I got carried away, wrongly. I was far too influenced about all the reports I got and I made a fundamental mistake. But at the end of the day it was based on fraudulent information. Why blame the family? Why blame the kids for that?" he asked.

After being found guilty of moving multi-million euro assets from the family's international property portfolio last year, Mr Quinn ended up in Mountjoy Prison for nine weeks, spending time away from his family for the first time ever. In a court of law he was found culpable for moving those assets, as was his son Sean Junior, yet even now he still maintains his innocence and will not budge on this issue. He says the court has yet to decide who has ownership of the assets.

"Could we return to jail? Nothing would surprise me but I am telling you that I should never have been in jail. I say without fear of contradiction if I was to die tonight that I was never in contempt of court. You must remember that the people selling this story are very powerful.

"Life in jail made me more determined. I had a good life, but I found it incredible that Anglo was involved in fraud, that the Quinn family were the greatest victims of that fraud, were the biggest losers in Ireland and Europe because of that fraud, and yet the guys who were the victims and lost the most money finished up in jail. The boys responsible for that fraud were swanning about in big cars while I was in jail," he said.

"You are asking me if I am just blaming everybody else?" continued Mr Quinn, "No, I am not. But I do feel the government and the people who have the responsibility should now know that if they were sold a pup it is time they turned around and admitted they got it wrong," he said.

And in his most strident attack, Mr Quinn has claimed Taoiseach Enda Kenny knew back in 2009 that Anglo's loans to him were "illegal."

"Enda Kenny, when he was leader of the opposition, put it to Brian Cowen in February 2009 in the Dáil that these loans were illegal and were in breach of section 60. He knew about this then. Everyone knew Anglo was in trouble yet they didn't tell anyone. They didn't tell the brokers, they didn't tell me. I had no idea. I thought the bank was doing fine and we continued to buy shares in it," he said.

Mr Quinn has appealed to the Taoiseach to launch a public enquiry into his family's case.

"My message to Enda Kenny is you must know that there was a real cock up. I would say, use your legislation, push the legislation that it is a criminal offence to withhold information regarding white collar crime, push it and give the family our data protection information and freedom of information, release the documents that are being withheld, open up the case, let someone come along in a public enquiry, and question the destruction of the Quinn Group," he said.

Repeatedly Mr Quinn makes the point that he was "stupid" to buy the shares but he will not back down when it comes to heaping criticism on the former Anglo Irish Bank.

"Anglo made a mistake of over lending, of poor lending practices. The government was sold a pup, they were told that Sean Quinn was a disaster and wasn't running his companies well. The company had been doing well for 30 years. What I can't understand is why they don't know at this stage that they were told a pack of lies," he said.

The Slieve Russell Hotel in Co. Cavan, once owned by the Quinn family, has begun a legal action against Mr Quinn's daughter Ciara in a row over the bill for her wedding, including a cake apparently flown in from New York and costing €100,000, a figure disputed by the family.

Mr Quinn has described it as "a mickey mouse argument," adding: "They are suing my daughter for a wedding she had six years ago. At the time the family were making more than the cost of that wedding every day. Since Quinn Group was taken over it has cost the Irish taxpayer two million every day yet they want to deflect the limelight by saying the Quinns stole our assets. They want to blacken the Quinn name, and they have done a fantastic job of it. They have destroyed the family's reputation," he said.

Mr Quinn claims his former companies in Derrylin "have been destroyed", a suggestion that the current management have disagreed with in the past.

Is it sad? Of course it is sad," said the former businessman, adding: "Somebody must call a halt and say this is wrong."

This interview was conducted two weeks ago, ahead of the G8 summit, and prior to the release of the 'Anglo Tapes' that are currently dominating the headlines in the Republic. "I am blessed with a good family. We are united in our determination that the truth will come out and it could be three, four years. There is a moral duty on the family that if lies are being told, if we were framed, if there was a cover up, to see this through," he said.

Comments

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.

20 Apr 2014 15:00 • Julie Kenwell

Family ‘sick of thought’ of third round of heart surgery for Alfie

THE family of Bellanaleck toddler, Alfie Keys are nervously looking ahead to this September.

20 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Trust identifies ‘extreme risks’ that could kill patients

Extreme risks have been identified by the Western Trust which could “compromise client safety” or even lead to “injury or death of patients or staff”.