Is it not all right to sell land to the ‘other side’

Published: 26 Sep 2013 09:300 comments

I’m sure you’re familiar with John B Keane’s story “The Field” which was made into a marvellous film starring Richard Harris as “Bull” McCabe.

“Bull” had farmed a field for years, but when the widow who owned decided to sell, an American tried to buy it.

The dark trouble that followed amply illustrates how deep land is in the Irish pschye.

Nowhere better shown that when “Bull” told the priest:

“There’s another law stronger than the common law. The law of the land.”

Land, and the ownership of it or sale of it, has been a sore point for generations with families and neighbours falling out time and again.

But that is no excuse for the ugly squabbling that went on in the Assembly this week supposedly over the sale of a farm in County Fermanagh.

You couldn’t make it up.

In football, players can be charged with an offence called “bringing the game into disrepute”, a useful catch-all for miscreants.

Stormont was brought into disrepute this week.

Consider the facts of the back story.

Once political allies, the TUV’s Jim Allister and First Minister Peter Robinson now look at each other with the sort of disdain a townie looks at something lying in a pile in a farmer’s field.

Allister goads Robinson for being in power with Sinn Fein.

Robinson hit back in the Assembly on Monday with a jibe about Allister doing business with Republicans by being the executor of a will when a farm of land was sold and his wife received part of the proceeds.

Cue furious reaction from Allister, not least because Robinson got his facts wrong.

I don’t have much time for Jim Allister’s politics, but on this occasion he is in the right, and Robinson has been made to look sullen and ugly in his outlook. He went for Allister with a viciousness which “Bull” McCabe would have been proud of, except with added sectarian undertones.

The First Minister didn’t do his party colleague Arlene Foster any favours, after it emerged that she was the solicitor involved in helping to make the will.

Twitter was awash with questions, although no one actually asked if it was her who had informed Robbo.

She has told this newspaper that it wasn’t.

Well, of course, it wasn’t.

Think about it. Surely if she had told him she would have got it right, knowing that Allister wasn’t the executor.

Does this whole seedy episode not, though, raise some very interesting questions.

Not least, the one of selling land to the “other side”.

Years ago, I heard of many instances of one side not selling to the other.

I remember one man telling me that a Catholic was trying to buy a house from a Protestant, who refused. The Catholic went to the extent of asking another Protestant to buy it and then sell it on to him at a healthy profit. But he wouldn’t do it.

And there was, apparently, a group set up where prominent Protestant businessmen bought up vacant land from fellow-Protestants to make sure they didn’t fall into the “wrong hands.”

This was particularly relevant throughout the years of the Troubles, when Protestant families along the Border in particular, felt their community was under seige and even being targetted deliberately to be driven off the land.

This mindset might seem to be a throwback.

But when you consider that the issue of the sale of the farm to a Catholic referred to this week resulted in a bitter argument at the Twelfth demonstration at Ballinamallard this year, it would seem that it hasn’t gone away you know.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this whole issue, it does seem incredible to me that it resulted in such bitterness in the Assembly.

I mean, apart from anything else, Jim Allister’s wife’s dealings are her own business. You would have thought delving into a wife’s business was something Peter Robinson would think twice about.

At a time when Northern Ireland faces many difficult questions and issues, we despair that this is the level our politicians have sunk to.

Comments

Get more stories from our Blogs section

27 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

A luxury car, beer or bingo; it’s your choice

I’ve been flicking through the glossy car brochures and haven’t quite made up my mind yet. What do you think? Should I go for a Lamborghini or a Porsche?

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

In the internet era, does the Unionist computer still say no?

I must admit a couple of stories last week gave me more than a little scare. Firstly, we were reminded that it was the 25th anniversary of the internet. 25 years?

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Maybe it’s the politicians who should be on the run

My 16-year-old daughter is facing some choices at the moment; choices which will affect her long-term future. As she prepares to sit her GCSEs in the next few months, meetings are being held to decide which A levels she will study over the next couple of years.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What are you doing Sunday, baby?

The American singer Tony Orlando released a song in the early 70s called “What Are You Doing Sunday (Baby)”; it was a time, you might think, when activities on the Sabbath were a little different in Northern Ireland. Few shops open, no pubs and hardly anywhere to find something to eat.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

The classic “Pulp Fiction” is a pretty bloodthirsty film, as you might expect from Quentin Tarantino, and the violent characters include mobster’s hitman Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

13 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are the authorities talking when they should be listening?

How are you? Ach, sure there’s no point complaining. Nobody listens anyway!

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

If we can’t see the past clearly, what is our vision of the future?

Here are a couple of lines from a song: “I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.” Which song?

30 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Religion, what’s that all about?

According to the dictionary, to blaspheme means “to speak irreverently about God or sacred things”, coming from the Greek word meaning “evil speaking”. This, according to fundamental evangelical Protestants is what Catholics do to God when they attend Mass.

23 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Has the doc perished on the sword of his own ego?

Like many people, for years I thought that Ian Paisley wasn’t just the leader of the DUP. He WAS the DUP.

5 Dec 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Who are you trying to kid?

The late John Sullivan, who wrote “Only Fools and Horses” was a superb comedy writer. Often, his scripts weren’t just funny, but touched a chord with the realities of life.

28 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The easy way or the hard way; or the right way?

I read this tweet this week: “There are only two ways to do anything. Do the hard thing first and then life will be easy. Take the easy way first and life will be hard.”

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

I’m not going away, you know!

Apparently when men have a night out, they enjoy conversation by insulting each other. But they don’t really mean it.

14 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What type of people remember?

The latest series of Downton Abbey has been very disappointing and it fizzled out with a poor finale on Sunday night. Everything has its day, I suppose, and we move on to something else.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Can society face up to hard truth of a troubled past?

We’ve all got a past, haven’t we?

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Do you need to read such filth?

Presumably before you headed out this morning, you took a quick glance in the mirror.

24 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are you a waster?

It’s Halloween next week, when minds should be focused on school half-term, the clocks going back and plans to watch the wonderful fireworks display that the Council puts on every year.

10 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

How do we move forward while hurt is still raw?

If you are one of the few people who does not watch “Downton Abbey”, let me explain that it is a television series about how an aristocratic family lived in the early part of the last century.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The truth is out there; finding it is sometimes the problem

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Did you ever get that old advice? And no doubt you think it’s good advice.

19 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Money makes the public sector world go around

I was once at a quiz when one of the questions was: “Who, it is said, knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing?”